Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it normal for exposed timber

Options
  • 16-03-2023 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Would this case drafts inside building

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There isn't enough overhang in my opinion there for the tile past the soffit. So more easier for moisute to come back at the soffit.

Normally plastic drip tray is used there with membrane over top.

Finally you would generality have a fully painted finished soffit board if timber or finished in appropriate soffit material in absence of paint. E.g pvc , aluminium etc.

No this looks substandard and would be a cause for concern for rot or water ingress. Driving rain or wind will make a decent mess of that after a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Crickey! It looks like I did that job!

Bite the bullet and get a RECOMMENDED builder in to quote for putting that right and bill the original "workman"

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Answers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would say no, not normal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Timber doesn't look treated and will rot. There should be a fascia covering that but looks like aluminium fascia incorporating the gutter which presumably was measured wrong and much harder/more expensive to replace than a simple fascia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ANNEGIL

Thanks for your responce an extention with quiet a few errors just wanted to be sure also i presume below isnt normal pipe into new roof from upstairs toilet. And also corners of windows have holes in seal between 2 panels glass. Thanks for feed back appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I am so sorry that you are finding these issues, getting work done can be expensive but it also should be exciting and satisfying for years after

Really hoping that you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was this a handyman or a contractor that carried out this work?

It's a mess regardless.

Qualified 🤣🤣Building contractor had an extension done bedroom and washroom he connected the shower to direct sewerage mains so all that had to be addressed the smell was coming nack up instead of a shower trap outside he put in a deeper shower gully. 🤣🤣

All inspected by an engineer and approved at time

I did point that out and told it well sealed in i asked their is pipe and bend inside the roof so if toilet upstairs caused an issue s**t would become real

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think you need to get your engineer back and he should ether get the builder to do things properly or give you a written statement that the works are fine. If its the latter you would have good cause to progress the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭grimeire

I would not nessacarily blame the builder here as he probably got other trades in for some of these parts. it's hard to judge but it doesn't look like it has much of an over hang the tile. It should be at least 2"/50mm.

I see you have what seems to be alu clad seamless gutters but I don't see any PVC soffit behind it. Do you have any fascia or is the timber fascia painted? That timber does not look like it's white/red deal so I suspect it's not painted. The guys fitting the gutters would of been better off keeping the gutters up higher as it looks about 3" if not more below the tiles.

All work was carried out by builder and his staff apart from gutters no pvc just raw timber behind the alu not painted.

Ok. That timber should of been at least treated and it doesn't look like it has.

Can you take a picture from the ground showing fascia, soffit and guttering?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Can you take a picture from the ground showing fascia, soffit and guttering?

You honestly haven't seen enough?

It's hard to get much information out of fascia picture provided. I would like to see the soffit detail that was completed if it's open like I suspect the owner will have issues with birds and other creatures getting into the attic/eaves.

The timber is raw/unfinished behind the guttering the guys doing the guttering should of never put it up.

If the guttering guys should of put the gutter up higher IMHO too.

Advertisement