Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonage

A Marty should be the next host!

Marty Morrissey or Marty Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

100% should be zamparelli. The show is desperately stale and needs a more upbeat character she ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I'd like to see Tommy Bowe take over. He's very good on TV 3 in the mornings and he's not afraid to speak his mind either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

I am a 1000% behind you with Grainne Seoige as only the dubs loved tubridy smiling all the way to the bank on the highest wage & he not a employee of rte only working on contract says alot about rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It will be a women so if not zamparelli my pick would be daithi o shea if they do go for a man.

Don't pick Miriam, she's 63, tubridy was 35 when he got the gig, it has to be someone youngish again but with a charm and personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

Marty is too busy advertising some dodgie house draw on social media.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Been watching the show forever - and it was clear the format had dried up. Show became too PC over the years - no real hard question - no audience involvement - many prerecorded pieces. We also didn't seem to get great guests - it is clear that the real celebs do Graham Norton - and job done.

Way too many repeat guests - and too many staff being interviewed. Now in fairness to all involved , it was an impossibly impractical show length wise - never should have been 90 minutes - and they did wind it back a bit recently and better for it.

Ryan did a good job for the most part (considering how difficult a spot it is) - we are a small country and he ended up having to interview the same people - who most are not particularly interesting to start with.

He did brilliant job on the Toy show and during the pandemic - but he seemed to be in a tough spot in a personal capacity.

I'd imagine it will be a female presenter - and worth trying. But I personally don't think there is a female presenter out there that can pull it off. They will certainly ask harder questions - but I'll be honest - none of them seem great on the lite / entertainment side.

I'd like to see Sarah McInerney get it. But would be a risk.

I personally think Brendan O'Connor would be excellent - he has made the weekend slot his own - and is one of the few out there that can do , politics, serious - comedy - lite entertainment - sport - and just general Irish craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Interesting that vast majority of posts assume a current "name". Do RTE not take a punt on unknowns anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

They're happy to stick with people who should be unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭fluke

Funny thing about the whole Ryan Tubridy as Toyman thing is, it was rarely about the toys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the interesting thing is that there is no clear favourite or close…

Claire Byrne is a risk. Her forte is ‘current affairs’. Completely untried and untested in a light entertainment environment..

A mistake was made with Pat Kenny who was also a current affairs guy, presenting Today Tonight but he’d dipped his toe into TV and the entertainment side with Kenny Live….still far too stodgy, formal and ‘professional’.. bad choice for the late late.

By the same token Tommy Tiernan wouldn’t have the sort of intra generational appeal and with it, he’s not a very gifted interviewer. Listening to “well now” every time a guest sits down and him dressed like he fell onto Howth pier straight off a trawler.. I doubt he’d have the background either to fluidly move from a light hearted entertainment style interview over to something more current affairs or serious…which you need on the Late Late. I can’t imagine he has that level of talent in his locker. Wouldn’t be a natural fit for it.

Ray Darcy, just no.

Brendan O’Connor ? Never liked his style but he might be a more rounded candidate. But… hmmmmm, has he the personality, more or less a niche broadcaster ? The interest ? I’d take a look at him.

Sarah McInerney ? Too inexperienced for the gig, that would be my foremost concern.

Joe Duffy… too old, 67… has a likeable gravitas but can be a tough listen, his forays into chat shows haven’t gone too positively…probably hasn’t got a rounded enough skillset in terms of dealing with various guests from different backgrounds, he’d be like Tiernan…. Maybe less able…. Would he want the hassle at his age ? He’s on serious money as it it… going by RTÈ’s published salaries he’d be a millionaire….Figures released by RTÉ in 2020 show that Joe was the third highest paid presenter at RTÉ with pay of €392,494 in 2019. This represented a drop on the fees of €404,988 paid out in 2018.

My guess is that RTÈ will opt for a female presenter, my guess is Claire Byrne. Seemingly likeable, inoffensive, intelligent, capable in all be it a current affairs field but we’ll see if she’s selected if she does have the capacity for light entertainment….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If everyone expects RTE to pick a current "name" (word used very loosely), then they will. Whatever happened to trying brand new talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

It seems be, that RTE don't really have a pick of younger, capable or likable presenters coming through the ranks. A lot of divisive presenters being suggested and that will be a worry for the accountants as the LLS brings in big ad revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The rotating guest host sounds OK, see who would work the best but hard with pre taped interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Presume you noticed that Claire Byrne 'retired' a few weeks ago.. all that is required is to rearrange the deckchairs in RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭squonk

In a way it might not matter who they get. I’m guessing that anyone under 60 either has cable or satellite or knows enough about streaming to sort it there Friday night just fine. There will always be big names on Norton so they’ll attract the non streamers. We hear from our politicians and sports Pele more than enough so they keep this up then nobody’s going to give a monkeys.

Really if you shoehorned in Agra ham or Dara into the show as it is now even they couldn’t resurrect it.

They need a fun presenter who isn’t afraid to do their own thing and who isn’t afraid to have a bit of craic. You don’t shears need A-Listers to make a show. There is infection of stuff you could do with audience involvement that would make for some fun.

it’s the Sue format that’s stale. Friday night I don’t want to be looking at a soft touch interview with some politician or another misery interview with another as ports head who was on alert 3 months ago. It’s just all very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was the Toy Show not just turned into another misery fest. Too much singing and dancing as well apparently.

Bizzare he was allowed inflict his misery fetish on the nation every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

The LLS should have stopped when Gay stood down and that's 24 years ago. Well past its sell by date. Pat Kenny is excellent on radio and current affairs. But light entertainment was never his forte. Too wooden. Ryan Tubridy is someone whose appeal to RTE I have never gotten. He is lightweight, no depth and wooden.

RTE has no one now to hold a candle to greats like Gay, Mike Murphy, John Bowman or Brian O'Farrell. These were men of intelligence, substance and charm. The money the likes of O'Connor, O'Callaghan, D'Arcy and Tubridy are on is shameful not to mention Joe Duffy. Gilbert O'Sullivan rarely does media with Irish broadcasting so when I knew he was going to be on Liveline it piqued my interest. Love Gilbert and was looking forward to hearing him. The show was a disaster. Mainly down to Duffy. I felt sorry for Gilbert and now understand why he rarely does media work with Irish broadcasters.

I know as a people we have a reputation of begrudgery. But their is simply no logic for the wages of the top earners in RTE. Gay, Mike, John and Brian were genuine broadcasting heavyweights whose work would merit re watching even now. I'd love to lock Tubridy into a room and make him watch some of their work and then ask him does he really deserve the wages he takes out of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I wonder would the 2 Johnnys be in the running?

they are very popular especially in the part of Ireland where the dinner is ate in the middle of the day and there is always plenty of spuds in the pot in case unexpected visitors land

I know that simple folk like myself would be highly entertained by the 2 lads.

nathan carter and dermot bannin would still be regular guests so it’s not really taking a risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

If RTE wants to liven it up, we may as well throw Dave Chambers/Bob McGlynn into the list of possible runners.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Need to keep it pure light entertainment, no need for a serious current affairs interviewer like BOC, Claire Byrne or McInerny.

Miriam is hopeless on all counts.

Zamparelli must be a front runner - lively, vacuuous, easy on the eye.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

The last two useless LLS presenters were given their own chat shows for a few years before RTE gave them the gig.

Who's in that position now at RTE?

Tiernan. Scanlan. O'Callaghan. D'Arcy ... (Jesus Christ😳)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I do remember Sean Moncrief had a Saturday night show that never got renewed as it was too edgy at the time, had to apologise after insulting the unionists afaik.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Dara O Briain or Patrick Kielty.

Deirdre O' Kane or Jennifer Zamparelli.

All good suggestions, maybe all of them?

Need to be young, witty and able to engage the viewers.

Not those who have already failed, Ray D'arcy, Brendan O'Connor, Miriam O'Callaghan, Claire Byrne.

Not that it matters as think RTE has already lost their audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Dara eh

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ehhhhhhhh

O Briain

eh?

The obvious choice would be Tommy Tiernan, obviously

Advertisement