Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Yes, life now is like having 100 windows open on your computer, demanding little bits of clicking into them all throughout. What has been automated leads to a further step of not just feasibility but becomes a requirement of normal living. Families are getting smaller, so less supports out there when things go wrong, and indeed more only children like myself or de facto only children if some other sibling lives very far apart.

Result is a type of stress not seen before, and we need a night of diversion, and a good live show can provide that if it is well produced and well presented. There’s something about a live show that makes you feel in the moment along with presenter, guests and audience, and the chance for things to go a little off piste. But what has been served out to us in the era of Ryan Tubridy has felt anything but that, there’s little surprise, little insight, it’s all so scripted, predictable & repetitive. There’s nothing to hook the audience in.

Taking it back to Gaybo’s time, guests were surprises, it was worth watching just to find out what might be featured. Hard to do that now in the era of social media, but there should be some effort to have surprise guests. Occasional audience participation in the odd debate adds to the colour as does a share of audience from home contributions. Gaybo didn’t always have big name celebrity guests, many were hitherto unknown ordinary mortals with a relatively unexplored issue. Nowadays the majority of such guests form the bulk of the “misery slots” and the emphasis is on the downbeat side of it, not what can be done to improve things.

Now people are pulled onto the show far too soon after a bereavement, before they have had time to know how they are even coping with their loss and it is not only further traumatising to them, but to the audience watching. It constantly reminds the audience of their own trials, when they were trying to find an evening’s respite. And far too often such guests have been brought on as the final guest, shortly before people are going to bed.

Of course it is great to have people on who are facing trials in life, where viewers can identify and say “that’s my problem too, I’m not alone”, but to have stories of death and illness dragged out of every guest for the prurient sake of it turns viewers off in droves.

Then the stupid trite dumbed down fluff content seems to be about the height of intellectual acumen under Tubridy’s tenure. Late Late Show turning into Love Island frankly does little to entertain its target audience. It’s fine to have a bit of fluff or just very light stuff here and there. A show should have variety and changes that surprise us through the two hours running if it, enough to hook us in, and stay tuned to see what may appear next.

Surprise us, entertain us, enlighten us. Surely not that hard a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,135 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

I thought Emer O’Neill was quite poor on the rte parade coverage yesterday. Everything seemed rushed and a little anxious with her, and she seemed to shout a lot, without really listening to anyone.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• I’d be turning off LLS for good if she were on, might possibly listen to Rory hosting it the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Based on yesterday she would have a lot to learn. Who knows though, she may improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭bureau2009

We all have an opinion on who should get the Late Late Show.

However, it will come down to just one thing in the end.

Whoever Noel Kelly (NK Management, "talent agent to the "stars") decides is the person for the show will get it.

(Well it appears he calls ALL the shots in RTE....)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

TLLS

Post edited by glitterIsland on

Exactly, but they won’t stray outside the canteen so cb is a contender

One thing is certain, the”wrong “ woman presenter will lose 50% of the viewers

• Simply look at NK’s female line-up, look at the top left entry and you’ve located next host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,135 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What about Dustin? Must be his turn soon as he's in the same mould as Tubridy.

• At least he’d be a laugh for the right reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

Having looked through that lineup, would Maia Dunphy be a contender??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nothing against Claire Byrne, but she's a female Pat Kenny, and I mean that in the sense of her niche being in serious current affairs shows and moderating debates. She's not someone you'd think can be at ease with a wide variety of guests.

Tommy Tiernan would never host the Late Late as he's primarily a standup.

Essentially, the only three characteristics you'd be looking for would be: is experienced Broadcaster - over 30/under 50 - knows when to be serious and when to have a laugh.

• —-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Brendan O'Connor would probably be the safest bet for RTE I'd hope they'd have the common sense to appoint him. RTE don't have anyone talented who'd be suited to it and BO'C would be the best of a bad lot.

I wouldn't be against Tommy Tiernan presenting it but would he actually be interested. He's a comedian not a TV/Radio presenter would be a nice pay day for him and a secure number for him but would he have alter his style to do it.

Who else is there Miriam been around too long probably coming up to retirement and basically just a younger Marian Fiuncane. Claire Byrne is a possibility but don't think she'd be interested and even if she was would she be suitable. I think she'd be a weak interviewer.

Tbh I only see Late Late Show getting worse BO'C would steady the ship for a couple of years probably do a better job than Tubs but ratings will only go down long term. RTE should really make the decision and cancel the LLS now perhaps move Tommy Tiernan's show in its current format to a Friday night slot because it will only continue to decline even with a new presenter at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember during the Eurovision that Dustin was doing, the LLS got Dustin on a Satellite call and Dustin went, "Turkey one to turkey two! Come in, Ryan!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Angela Scanlon would be good, at least she's quick witted and easy going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have a hoolie mega show once a month. The current format is a dead duck, not enough to fill it apart from misery. Or just bite the bullet and get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

For some reason RTE have banished Dustin he is very rarely on now. During the pandemic someone had the great idea to bring back the Den for the first Christmas of Covid, it was a huge success and was brilliant relief from all the Covid stuff. In 2021 despite massive public appeals and even a media campaign to return it for Christmas 2021 RTE point blank refused, that tells you alot about the organisation now. I think they don't like Dustin because he takes no prisoners and everyone is fair game including the big and not so big RTE people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,085 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Time for Al Porter to make the mother of all comebacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Are ye joking? Have you listened at all to so called Ballsy in the past couple of years?? His incessant navel gazing and emphasise on the nations mental health would drive all the viewers to the drink. His show is as limp as the mickey of an old farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

God no. She has absolutely nothing to say, all image. I think she has been found out. Got loads of opportunities on the BBC and seems to have come to nothing. She certainly isn’t short of confidence and I’d say her looks opened doors for her but then you see that there’s nothing there. She was woeful on some house makeover show on BBC2, just small talk with homeowners and she couldn’t even manage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Of all the names thrown out so far, think Moncrieff is head and shoulders above everyone. Would be an awful loss to Newstalk if he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

I'll probably be shot for this and the point is now academic. But when Gay stepped down in 1999 I think Gerry Ryan should have gotten the gig. I know he had various stabs at TV shows but I think he was made for the LLS. He was larger than life with a big personality. He was very intelligent. I know he wasn't everybody's cup of tea but he had charm and personality. I thought he did well stepping in for Pat Kenny that one time.

RTE always play it safe. Never push the envelope. O'Connor is just boring and I don't think Tiernan hasn't the finesse required. Miriam is a definite no. I'm really scratching my head as to who could plausibly host it and make it worthwhile viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭squonk

Agree 100%. The one time he did the LLS was pretty good and he’s the only one I’ve seen since gaybo who actually seemed at home in the show too. Yes he should have gotten it but maybe his demons thwarted him. I’m sure the orders that be at the tune knew the score and I don’t think he’d have been able to carry it in subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Next LLS host Luke O Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

Really the key to the hosting thing is not to make it be so... vocational. There's this idea maybe that the host has to do at least ten years of the LLS.

Maybe the net is widened, and show seems more fluid, if the next format and host are able to change up or feel like they can change up every few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

She is witty and pleasant and could do weekly fashion tips on the LL but but can she do cancer, suicide? Is she informed about current affairs?

Advertisement