Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• ”Well tonight, you see, we have a posse of interesting guests, you see, who can enlighten us, you see…”

• I never liked Gerry Ryan as a personality but I do think he had the intelligence, curiosity & competence to make the Late Late Show his own. He could have handled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A man responsible for the deaths of 100s . Am I the only one who remembers him on the Late Late Show telling everyone covid is just a cold, get on with living life as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Did he say that!! I would have doubted that with all the stuff he was saying during it. All a joke anyway

• Advertisement

Yes he did say that, right at the start, he told everyone to forget it, just a cold, pack those pubs, go live your life, he said all this on the Late Late Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭squonk

Deirdre O’Kane would be a great watch I think. she might take the show in a lighter direction which wouldn’t be bad. Not sure about her chops with the serious issues but she seems genuine and would probably ask the man in the street kinds of questions which wouldn’t be too bad. Seeing political leaders interviewed on the LLS kinda puts me off anyway. Mostly softball stuff with a free token ‘hard’ questions thrown in to make the just look hard but which really the interviewee is well able to skirt around or the answer is prepared in advance anyway and the questions are probably vetted. I wouldn’t be surprised by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Please not Doireann Garrihy.

She seems to be popping up everywhere lately.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As there is no obvious successor in place it's clear RTE are reacting here to some outside force - probably advertisers looking to walk or at a minimum looking for reduced fees for falling viewership. I'm not buying the line that tubridy decided to go all on his own, given that he was seemingly looking forward to many more years in the hot seat a few weeks ago either.

Of all the names mentioned, I think the most likely to succeed if the show retains its current format is Claire Byrne, despite her own show getting canned - probably because it turned into an embarrassment (not buying that she decided to give that up either).

A left-field option is a co hosting arrangement, however that would leave them with one less guest to invite on. Might also be too radical.

In any case, the successor will inherit a poisoned chalice and is likely to be the last host of the show. There is no one brave enough to make it must watch TV again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A good talk show host can have a conversation with their guest. If all they're going to do is ask a list of questions just leave a laptop on the table. Probably have more personality than most of them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

I don’t know. CB is a very bad choice. I’ve been listening to her morning Sue for the past 2-3 years and after all that time I can’t really say I have a sense of the woman. She is in her land with the political and current affairs pieces but she lacks any depth of personality outside of that. My main takeaway from the cultural or more fun pieces on the site is her shutting down any craic or just displaying a lack of knowledge of things even other Pele her age would know about.

She vibes across like the swot at school who was buried in the books and didn’t get involved in other activities because they were hell bent on being an accountant. Now they’ve achieved their goal and are good at what they do but you wouldn’t invite them out for a pint and even if you did they probably wouldn’t come anyway because you wouldn’t be having a weighty enough conversation.

ive wondered in the past because she must have some personality but is it that she just can’t get it across in air or is just afraid to let her guard down? This isn’t the person we need every Friday night. I think she would really be an awful choice and I can’t see too baby sticking around after the initial novelty wears off. If Tubbs couldn’t do serious subjects, she’s the opposite. I just couldn’t see her naturally having the craic with comedians or bands. God knows how she’d manage the toy show!

She asks questions and knows what opinion she's supposed to have. You'll never see her forming her own opinion or be controversial in any way.

Yeah but it’ll turn into an extension of her radio show. Good on current affairs but very bland otherwise. I’m all for listening to analysis of current issues every weekday morning but Friday night, forget it.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Get Nicky Byrne up there.

PM my people we can work something out.

Good luck with it Nicky, only a matter of time.

If Nicky decides to let us all down I suggest they rotate it for a few years.

If you keep doing what you do, you keep getting what you get.

I hadn’t thought of that but he’d be actually perfect

A political correspondent,but Gavin Reilly seems like a personable kind of chap. Certainly articulate and quick witted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

We will draw the papers up. If Miriam starts cribbing tell her she doesn't really need the hassle.

It is an unspoken secret that Miriam is only stepping in if Imelda May gets any notions. That would be a travesty.

I spoke with Marty this morning, well spoke is not the word, we rolled around his sitting room floor in hysterics for an hour ,rubbing our bellies which were past painful. He was trying to say the words " I think that is great idea Count" , poor phucker couldn't get past the th in think, physically I mean, we all know Whelo is no dope.

Hopefully Nicky grasps the nettle. Gwan Nicky ya mad wee bolleeks ya, ya dicky weee skillamalinx ya !!!!

Somethings are true whether you believe them or not, maybe they burnt the footage 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know fuel is gone expensive but that's stretching it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

If it's going to be a female, have either of these been mentioned - Fiona Looney, Brenda Donohue?

Please god NOOOO! I liked G Ryan but the west thing he ever did was give these two a platform. They’re equally awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is it possible that Graham Norton might be interested? Other than Graham I saw Sean Moncrieff as a possible. I'd say he'd be very good.

Most of the presenters on Newstalk and Virgin Media would do a better job than anything RTE has.

No idea what's going on in that place. Complete dearth of talent.

• Mark my words - here - when it comes to pass that the candidate is female and bears the name of Claire Byrne. Mark my words. The die is cast, the contract signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't mind the female bit , but not CB , please no !

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Well, we might have ever changing sets for a bit of variety 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Exactly. Someone earlier on the site said she was similar to Pat Kenny. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There is no evidence of any intellect or intellectual curiosity. She doesn’t seem to be particularly interested in anything. None of this would be seen as a problem by RTE. Most importantly for RTE, she would be a safe choice. She is presentable, will never offend official Ireland and knows the acceptable views. This has got her where she is today, massively over promoted given her limited capabilities.

Advertisement