Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anna Daly might be an interesting choice. I doubt they will mess with the format.. its probably to succesful to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Agree with that. This idea she is a fountain of knowledge on current affairs is hilarious. She seems to have a serious kind of personality but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say give it to Pamela Joyce and take it on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Francis Brennan, Dermot Bannon and Keith Barry should be the new hosts - they’re on every week anyway.

Thank you, I’m here all week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭sporina

or what about Mario Rosenstock? he could be himself or someone else.. his improvisations are great - and he could be a man or a woman... like he does on his current tour.. eg: Miriam O' Callaghan, Brendan O' Connor etc... I am sure he could do Sarah Mc, Claire Byrne - who ever.. sure he could have a rota.. a different one every week.. twud be great 😁

Post edited by sporina on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I know he's much maligned but I think we'll look back and find that Tubridy was actually a decent fit for the Late Late. He had his flaws for sure, particularly interrupting guests, but overall he had a good grasp of current affairs and pop culture, and didn't take himself too seriously (i.e. Pat Kenny). I think the biggest problem is the format of the Late Late Show. There's already numerous outlets to discuss serious and sad topics during the week, no one wants them on a Friday night. Whatever about the quality of guests, it really needs less sob stories. It should really focus on being a fun, entertaining late night show.

I see Claire Byrne is tipped to replace him. That would be a god awful appointment in my opinion. I actually really liked CB Live, because it was a current affairs show and she's suited to that, but let's be honest, she's not blessed with much charisma or charm. She's a female Pat Kenny. Miriam O'Callaghan also falls into the same bracket more or less.

Tommy Tiernan could be a suitable appointment but I find this own show suits him so well, it's best to leave him with that.

Brendan O'Connor would be just okay but it'd really feel like we're going backwards if he is to be selected. It'd be a very boring underwhelming appointment.

For me, Jennifer Zamparelli would be a great option. Great energy, and not afraid to ask awkward questions or broach different topics. Not sure how aligned she is on politics and current affairs but this might be the push the LL show needs to move it into more of an entertainment show. Sarah McInerney and Angela Scanlon are also decent options.

It's a dream option, but Dara O'Brian would be an amazing Late Late Presenter. Think he's fairly settled in the UK and prob couldn't commit to it but I'd love it for the future if it ever were to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Have we forgotten Dáithí Ó Sé! He does a great job on the Today show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭bigroad

Tubs should have a good few millions in the bank so ye can save any tears.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alfonso Massive Scholarship

and hes going to get shows/projects to do - i can see him inflicting a JFK documentary/series.vanity projects on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭blackbox

When Gaybo finished up I felt they should have given the gig to Dave Fanning. Clever, edgy knowledgeable and humorous.

Obviously he would have been too big of a risk for RTE.

He's an elder statesman at this stage - I think it needs someone younger.

RTE need to look outside their own stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I think someone mentioned Kieran Cuddihy from Newstalk. Wouldn’t be a bad appointment actually. Maybe too similar to Tubridy though. They’re quite alike in ways, perhaps Tubs is just a bit more full on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What about Emer O'Neill? She could hold her own and there is a prime candidate for her first interview!

yeah he would be great - not like Tubs imo.. Tubs irritates me - irrational maybe but even so.... I find he speaks like he has a pole up his you know where..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I know it's a joke but if Gaybo was still around they would have been on the show already as a guest, and given a fair go too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I really like Mario - love his podcast.

however I think Mario is more suited to radio/podcast

anytime I see him being interviewed in a serious setting (like Tommy Tiernan) I notice he diverts his eyes when talking - he does not seem to maintain a lot of eye contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Announcing a woman presenter isn’t woke, but if we’re 100% sure that they’ll announce it as a woman, then that kind of is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Maybe it's only happening here in the North, but I keep see Kielty's name pop up for this. I think he'd be a great fit; lots of presenting experience, many years of stand-up experience (I've seen him twice and found him very funny, but I acknowledge it's subjective), but also naturally warm to people and has gravitas when he needs it. I've met him in person also and he was incredibly warm and friendly. I just don't know though if ROI audiences are as exposed to him or would see a nordie as a natural fit for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, he came across as an interesting person who can think for himself when he was on Tommy Tiernan's show recently.

OMG, there would be skin and hair flying in RTE if such a total outsider was chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'd go with Kielty. Ability to mix funny and serious to a pretty high level, representative of the entire island aswell. Makes alot of sense.

Whether he would be interested or not is another thing. RTE don't do outsiders, it will 100% be Claire Byrne, the show will trudge along for another 5-10 years and then it will be canned. Thats my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I do find he has an ability to keep you hanging on every word when he tells a story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭valoren

Ronan Keating? Been co-presenting The One Show for a while now. Perhaps pairing him with someone like Jennifer Zamparelli to co-host thr show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As my Mammy would say, she should have the manners to wait till she's asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Miriam O'Callaghan has ruled herself out of becoming the next presenter of The Late Late Show, insisting that "won't be happening".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah!!

I’ve just ruled out myself running for President!

Wont be happening.

Advertisement