Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

I just think it is a low risk option for Daithi because he is light and breezy and is not actually giving up alot to do it. For clare Byrne or Sarah mcinerney it is a very big risk if it flops because they will lose credibility and cannot really slot back into current affairs again. It almost seems like it is coming for daithi just at the right time ,he is not too old or too young and he has been building his media profile constantly for years. There are no skeletons in the cupboard and he won't frighten the horses. Maybe he is not liberal enough or left wing enough for the RTE bigwigs might be his only disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I think Tubridy knew the LLS was dead at this point.

I think it's hard work not having any proper guests. I think he knows as much as the rest of us, that the likes of Jason Byrne, Neil Delamare, Dermot Bannon type interviews are shite. It'd be soul destroying having to fake interest in those guests and he uses a lot of filler during the shows to fill up time.

I think it says a lot that about 20% of the late late shows are actually specials. Country night, valentines, tribute nights, business, toyshow.

Even the audience giveaways are shite now. There was a period there of horrendous giveaways where he was almost joking about how rubbish they were. I think there was a bag of spuds given one night.

I think they need to shorten it...start at 9:40 and finish at 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Their concept of new talent is scalping from Newstalk. Very few what they call "stars" under sixty these days.

Should definitely be an inquiry into the management of that place. They really seem incapable of progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good luck with that….. black holes in space allow out more light than RTE.

Couldnt even produce a spokesperson in the Partygate incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

If Tubridy can go back to Radio 1 after 5 years on 2FM with no improvement in audience figures, Sarah and Claire can move to the Late Late and return quite happily to Current Affairs.

Neither Dathi or Maura will get TLLS, they are Daytime presenters.

I am guessing it will be Claire Byrne.

other RTÉ people that have potential Brendan O'Connor, Sarah McInerney

I just don't think either VMTV or Newstalk/Today FM have anyone that RTÉ would pick. One of the problems for them has been that they have been unable to cultivate any new presenters, they have a huge roster of people but none of them are really all that good.

I dislike Tubs immensely but I wonder if there is anyone on Irish TV can could take his place, this is how bad things are.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Claire Byrne returns to TV with a new quiz show to find 'Ireland's Smartest' starting on April 2nd. That will be a change for her too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say one or both of DWTSIrl hosts will get the gig, RTE very impressed with the series this year in regard to ratings and hosting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Someone I know working in RTE seems to know who it is. The person has already been told and accepted even before Tubridy announced he was stepping down. I cant get him to tell me who it is though. I'll keep working on him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

That sounds plausible. Tubs departure seems to have been orchestrated by top management which means they have a succession plan.

Almost certainly in-house “talent”. It’s not the glittering prize it once was. I doubt it would attract a big name back to Ireland.

I hope it’s someone as young as Tubs and Gaybo were when they took the gig I.e. under 40.

A woman almost certainly, just because.

Stand by for an announcement once they have flogged the “search” for all the publicity it can muster.

I would not be likely to believe that, RTÉ have a tendency to promote themselves to the nth in media and in tabloid media. DWTS is beginning to fade but it has held up more than The Voice did I will give it that.

I'd expect her with her name to be able to bring in a massive audience to that show. I doubt it will happen.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Never forget that Gaybo started the RTÉ gravy-train by threatening to go to Britain. They should have organised his farewell party but instead they doubled his salary.

I agree with a lot of what you say, overall.

However, if I remember correctly Gaybo worked in England as well as Ireland, in the early part of his career. I can't remember anything about him threatening to leave, and I remember Mike Murphy saying that Gaybo worried a lot about his job, and never valued himself as he should have. He certainly wasn't getting anything like the ridiculous salary that Tubridy is getting, even allowing for it being a different era/ different pay levels and so on.

He was threatening to go to the US I thought. There was a national outcry and they threw wads of cash at him to stay.

While I agree that Mike Murphy did say this, it all depends on what you think big wads of cash are. Gay Byrne had a run in with his accountant in the middle of his career, which suggests to me that Gay was on a good wage, remember in 2002 RTÉ paid him €200,000

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think Gay got stung twice, first by Russel Murphy & then the collapse in Bank shares!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I didn't use the phrase 'wads of cash' 😉 that was another poster.

He was embezzled of more than €250,000 by his accountant and friend Russell Murphy, which Gay only discovered after Murphy’s death in 1986.

Anyway I don't want to drag the thread off topic any further so I will leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

Gaybo was very secretive about his salary and it was only towards the end of his career that RTÉ was forced to disclose what they paid to top earners. Gaybo was the top earner for decades and worked extremely hard for it. His shows were highly professional (none of that “Hello, Mary? Oh, we seem to have lost Mary just there.” nonsense which peppers RTÉ shows)

Gaybo did start his TV career with Grenada but be joined RTÉ soon after. He was among the victims of Russell Murphy, a crooked accountant, which increased his anxiety about money. Vincent Browne gives some flavour here (VB would never criticise another media presenter for making too much money)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I still hold out for the hope that RTE will give David Lee Roth his own TV show.

Dave on the cutting edge of what’s going on in Ireland with bikini contests and Steve Vai guitar solos.

Wazazat ze bop ze bop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

twud be soo cool if it was Sarah McInerney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

Did they also have Putin's invasion plans in February 2022?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RTE is milking this "replacement speculation" for all it's worth. Great for LLS publicity and they are loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Just shows though that even at the highest level in the institution the dross being turned it isn’t just tolerated but lauded. In the private sector if the CEO drags themselves along to your big meeting you know you’re on the right track. DWTS is a joke. It’s not cashed Danckng With The Staff for nothing and I’d say that is one of the kinder jokes too. Is there really a point to Aldi versions of shows the BBC and others are doing bigger and better? The point I’m making really is that if she’s hsppy with the status quo as head honcho, I’m not holding out much hope really for anything radical with TLLS. If the equivalent of the CEO can’t see what’s wrong in the place, they’ll just continue down the rabbit hole of crap and Tubbs will have been sacrificed for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Byrne alright. Retired from her CA slot, lined up in a softer quiz thing to broaden her. Lined up for the LLS.

I suppose a Byrne made the show famous, so fitting that a Byrne would be it's last incumbent.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Seems to be some contradictions in Miriam's position, based on her statement earlier in the week:

And she said: "Interestingly, last night I found the letter I wrote 14 years ago, the last time the role of presenter for The Late Late Show was up for grabs.

"In it I told management that I was withdrawing my name from the ring on that occasion too, saying I no longer wanted to be considered for the job if I had to leave Prime Time, and the position - 14 years on - remains exactly the same."

But at the same time:

She previously told how getting pipped to the post by Tubridy in 2009 was her "biggest knockback".

She told the RTE Guide: "Getting knockbacks maybe makes you stronger.

"My biggest and most public example of that was when Ryan [Tubridy] got The Late Late Show when all the bookies were saying that I would.

"I remember going home that evening to my kids who just asked ‘What’s for dinner?’ They had no idea.

"And when I didn’t get the Late Late, the biggest show in the station, I decided to stay with Prime Time."

So was she overlooked in favour of Tubridy or did she withdraw from the race in 2009?

They're all deluded about their abily to present anything.

This year? Or for the photo op a few years ago.

Dee Forbes is on her way out this year, she has as much power in RTÉ as you or I. And I could go on about her time in RTÉ but I won't.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

What would people think of Lisa Cannon? She is well used to interviewing big names and seems very competent at the light entertainment stuff given her background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Liz Bonnin?

Advertisement