Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

Kielty even for one season would save the lls. Tubs is in the process of destroying everything in the background and turning the role toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Kielty didn't rule himself out and said all the right things. Complemented the show and the former host.

He could change it, throw in a few elements from other shows we are familiar with and make it something different.

As it stands, it's dying out and RTE know it. The format is dying without the A listers, so might be an idea to look other programmes in other countries and take something from them.

Kielty could use it as a springboard to get some publicity for a new chapter of his career in the UK.

Will be interesting to see the wages. D'Arcy went from €450K to €300K when he lost his TV show, Tubs seems to be taking a €200K cut as well if the rumours are to believed.

But Kielty may insist on full editorial control with his people which will put an awful lot of noses out of joint in Montrose.

There's a certain cohort of people there who would rather see it slowly sink and get handsomely paid while that happens, rather than be moved now and see the LLS potentially get a new lease of life.

the A lister talk will be irrelevant if they pick the right host , this only became an issue with tubridys amazing American talk show talk when “made it his own “

the truth is a good non celebrity Irish guest is better television than a PR controlled celebrity.

ps

the absolute state of tubs interviewing Hollywood actors , everyone of them left either laughing at the experience or mortality embarrassed

See how he defensive he got with Marion, it’s like he lost his temper 😂😂similar situation with the Derry girl 😂

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Karppi

Thankfully, I hadn't seen his "interview" (I use the word as loosely as possible) with Juliette Binoche before. To say that he is a one-dimensional, shallow person would be the understatement of the week. Apart from being, IMHO, an excellent actor - Clouds of Sils Maria and latterly Three Colours: Blue - Juliette has opinions and convictions based on observing and being actively engaged with real human situations and emotions. Her moral compass and sense of purpose is based on reality. The inane questions and comments from Ryan simply demonstrate his complete lack of these natural human traits. Talk about "The Boy In The Bubble". Time for the LLS to call it a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Opray and Ellen come to mind .... but they don't work for RTE !!! .... but we have what the USA don't have .... we got Imelda !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

According to this the deal has been completed nearly two weeks ago for Keilty

so much for the ladies having decide to withdraw thee name for consideration.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Kielty is just another one of the RTE 'family' imo. Is there no new talent in this country, or someone worth taking a punt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Good decision. Kielty is absolutely the right choice.

Morto for the people "withdrawing their names". It's like running for a bus, missing it and pretending you didn't want it in first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,914 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Aye.

"Kielty only got it because 10 other people turned it down beforehand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Plenty of talent,RTE have no interest in disturbing the status quo by introducing new people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

I wonder what else kielty wanted before he signed up, I'd say alot of the backroom team will be gone aswell now, probably the misery slot aswell or a very rationed down misery section, one every few shows or something.

I don't think it will be all light and fluffy, he probably have alot more political stuff from NI that we don't here so much here now.

Also with his connections alot more UK celebrities.

Hopefully less gaa stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

TLLS survives on product placement and advertising sponsorship - if you asked the marketeers off camera I reckon they’d agree with you. Money talks, even if it’s off record.

I’m not worried about misery slots because a good host will handle them properly, not like the last guy who got off on them 😂

Patrick kielty absolutely owned James Nesbit at the IFTAS so well I started to appreciate him 😂,

nesbit introduced him as “ former stand up comedian, Patrick kielty “ and without flinching kielty responded with “thank you for the introduction, former monogamist James Nesbit “ 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kielty will be good. He can do the serious and light stuff well. They absolutely need to change the tone of the show though, the misery is just too much for a friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'd say those clowns who created the woke panto will be given the short shrift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Claire Bryne story at the weekend was complete rubbish then and she is probably the source of the story to try to save face.

Her radio programme is consistently boring and bland and I think RTE is finally realising she's no successor to Sean O'Rourke and Pat Kenny. She's more suited for the 9 O'clock News.

On the other hand maybe they wanted it to look as if Kielty wasn't their last hope.

Who knows, could work either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

So LLS goes to male pale and stale white guy again, Down with the patriarchy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If he doesn't live in Dublin, I can't see him lasting long in the role unless they reduce the number of episodes.

Looks like the Late Late Show is finally changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just looking at how hard it is to replace Tubs shows how good he was really. What will all the Tubs is terrible brigade (on boards) do with their Friday nights now? Some of the views expressed were extreme and I guessed he would go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's more a reflection on how poorly run RTE is.

Nepotism, back scratching and favouritism means the same faces are there year after year no matter how poorly they perform.

They could have managed this a lot better but that's how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Northern comic Patrick Kielty offered `Late Late' job

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/northern-comic-patrick-kielty-offered-late-late-job-1.181401 in 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,303 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think RTE have their hosts

exactly, and those benefiting knew they wouldn’t get away with it this time do they pulled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I for one won't miss tubridy too much anyway...now maybe I'm just easily led but I found him poor enough

I mean I'm sure he works hard, it's hard to fill time up with shite, it's hard to rescue a dying format as your budget decreases and you no longer have a captive audience like the presenters before you etc...in truth I couldn't do what he did but I just didn't find most of what he did something I'd want to watch or listen to and in fairness it's not like he didn't get paid well for doing it.

However, there's not many I do find all that magnetic on the airwaves/TV now anyway...Tubridys radio show in the morning used to make me immediately switch off as we would get a light hearted rambling yawn fest of a much ado about nothing story of a walk he had around Blackrock and meeting some z list nothing or Brenda who is opening up an independent bookshop in a mobile home near tik nok where she will be selling artisan chai lattes and giving Indian head massages as you read the latest tome on Anglo Irish politics circa 1970...

Then again most of the shite on the national airwaves pales in comparison to the past and a lot of the presenters aren't any better.....I'd seal the two Johnnies in a massive Johnny and blast them into the vacuum of space and that's tame in comparison to what I think should happen to the likes of Ciara Kelly and Shane Coleman et al

It's a different landscape now, there is so much choice compared to what there used to be, the one thing I want is for media outlets in this country to not continue to follow the race to the bottom in terms of diminishing factual /objective reporting in favour of sensationalist or outright propaganda, bile and bias in pursuit of the almighty click I see everywhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement