Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O'Leary Hypocrisy?

Options
  • 16-03-2023 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭

So Mick called out Davy Russel for coming out of retirement as a temporary sub jockey, saying he should stay at home to be be with wife, kids, family life etc. At the same time while being interviewed after his race win at Cheltenham, he gives a shout out to all his kids, by name, and... boarding school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I think O'Leary's comments on Russell were more related to the risk of serious injury as a jockey - especially given the spinal injury Davy suffered in 2020.

When you get out at that age in your early 40s you don’t bounce, you don’t mend the way you did before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Did this really need its own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Michael gave us power

to other cities see

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

O’Leary is an obnoxious prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭deezell

Telling Russell to stay home with his kids, then sending greetings to his own incarcerated in boarding schools. And his concern for Davy's health is sham. He sacked him as no 1 jigginstown jockey 10 years ago don't forget, for no other reason than that he could. Davy's replacement broke his leg within a week or so, meaning he had to he reinstated, but could never speak out about the demotion.

This is a good read

https://archive.is/FICSK

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Telling Russell to stay home with his kids, then sending greetings to his own incarcerated in boarding schools.

Again, where's the hypocrisy?

Was Michael O'Leary one of the jockies or one of the owners?

Well he rides all his customers so that makes him a jockey of sorts.

• Advertisement

Yeah its terrible living in this fascist dystopian society where you have no choice but to use an airline you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Quick tip on Mr O Leary, he needs PR and the cheapest PR is the type he never pays for. Making mad comments and calling out people means he doesnt have to pay for PR because everyone else does it for him. So just ignore. He is good at his job, but one of those people to put on ignore list

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's the thing about Ryanair people say they hate them but they use them.

They use them because they are cheap and most of the time get you there on time.

After that they have almost zero brand loyalty.

If another airline came along with the same offering customers would abandon Ryanair.

As for MO'L when he speaks about the aviation business I listen to him, anything else I ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

By "rides" you mean gives incredibly cheap flights? Unless you are one of the fools get hit with the Ryanair Idiot Tax from not reading the terms and conditions that most people have no problem with.

I'm no fool, despite your insinuation. I'm well aware of the methods that Ryanair use to extort extra from their customers. Like applying an €80 check in bag charge automatically to all passengers on a booking, even if only one decides they need a check in bag. Like using online activity tracking to constantly alter the price of a flight if you spend too long checking alternative dates and carriers, to create a sense of panic. Like allocating the empty free seat to a stranger beside two paid for seats, despite rows of empty seats on the flight. Like charging a different price for a flight during a flight change transaction than the price offered in a fresh booking, in order that your cancelled flight cost doesn't cover the new flight (despite also paying the huge change fee). These are all validated experiences I've had using Ryanair. The flight changed one is documented on boards here. The changed fight sought was about €30 less than the cancelled one, no refund permitted or sought, but when following through, remarkably it was more expensive than the cancelled one via the online change process. Thos meant the total change cost was the same as paying for the new flight as a seperate booking. I have the screen grabs.

Ryanair is fine for a solo traveller with the small carry on overnight bag who doesn't care where he's seated, it's a nightmare of landmines otherwise.

And that all has got what to do with horse racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

As I said, idiot tax. It's been known as that for years.

You actually think Ryanair are using a sentient/AI type computer system that adds a checked bag to everyone on a booking for some people? That when you get to the payment page you wouldn't notice the HUGE price increase? Or is it more realistic that someone clicked apply to all? Current websites like Ryanairs aren't sentient, you enter the information, the site deals with that information.

If you want to sit beside someone BOOK A SEAT beside them. You must lose it on buses where any tom, dick or harry can sit beside you for the journey. Me and my friends do at least one weekend away in Europe a year with Ryanair, 10-20 boozed up clowns depending on who's available on a given year, and not once has one of us had to pay an idiot tax with Ryanair. Guess we're just "lucky".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Horse Racing thread is =======>

Advertisement