Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A MORTGAGE FOR A STAKE IN A HOUSE?

Options
  • 16-03-2023 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

My father is leaving the house to each of his four kids equally. This means we will own 25% each. I am living in the house currently and the other 3 live abroad. Two are happy to leave me living in the house and keep their 25% stake for their children to inherit down the line. The last sibling wants me to buy him out.

Is it possible I can get a mortgage for say 100k in order to buy his 25% stake, raising my stake to 50%? Or can you only get a mortage for a 100% stake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

If the house was only in your name you could get a 100k mortgage at a very good rate as the loan to mortgage is only 25%. The problem is the other two siblings being joint owners. i dont think this is possible. Call a broker or bank to see, hopefully I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Tbh just sell it and split the proceeds. Much easier in the long run.

There's nothing stopping the other siblings/their kids arriving on your doorstep and staying indefinitely. Or in 5 years time wanting to liquidate their share.

You know the plans, save as much as you can now and be in a good position that when the time comes you've 25% and savings to put to a new 100% your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would expect any bank would require all co-owners to sign up to a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Explore how quickly he wants you to buy him out? Could you pay him over 20 years (with interest, obviously) - effectively getting the mortgage from him?

Advertisement