Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S23 Moon Pictures are Fake - very Underhand, is it fraud? Interested in opinions

• 16-03-2023 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭

Im an avid fan of Android - in ascending order iv had

• Galaxy S1
    • Galaxy S3
    • Galaxy S5
    • Nexus 6
    • Galaxy S7 Edge
    • Oneplus 6T
    • Galaxy S10

I mention this here in case anyone wants to suggest that i am an apple fan, and this is trolling - its not - but i am very angry about this, and id like to hear what people think of it

Advertising a phone that can capture sharp enough images of the moon - Samsung are basically saying that it can

• Compensate for vibration inherent to a person holding a phone, and zooming to something far away - in Photography, this is Vibration Reduction (Image stabilization in Canon, VR in Nikon)
    • A sensor which has enough raw resolution (and is sensitive enough) to actually capture an image of something which would appear as a ball of light on your screen, while compensating for the glare in REAL TIME

Put simply they are advertising the best Camera phone, ever - and one which had a lot of people (particularly astro heads and photography enthusiasts like myself) very excited - this camera looked like it out performed my Nikon D5100 with an AF-S 18-105mm VR lens, ON A TRIPOD

Its FAKE - Aka - Fraud IMHO -

Love to hear what you all think

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

This is the original blog post which has proved the case, and the experiment has now been reproduced many times - you could do so yourself, if you wish -

Really is shocking - to me anyway - MrWhoIsTheBoss video above is worth the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

If the camera uses AI, then effectively it could recognize that you are trying to take a photo of the Moon and enhance the photo using a library of Moon photos taken using a telescope at a high altitude observatory. Basically replace your white blob with a good picture.

Which is what it seems to be doing? From the linked article:

Actually identifying the Moon in the first place is done with an “AI deep learning model” that’s been “built based on a variety of moon shapes and details, from full through to crescent moons, and is based on images taken from our view from the Earth.”

But the key step, and the one that’s generated all the controversy, appears to be the use of an under-explained “AI detail enhancement engine.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

While not perfect I find moon shots with an S22 ultra fairly easy to take on a clear night, ideally you need some kind of tri/monopod to make it earlier and take out the hand shaking which makes it difficult to do

Ok but - that is not your photograph - I mean enhancing and trying to increase sharpness is one thing - Digital Photographers have been doing that for years - and its possible to process an image which perhaps didnt take, as you would have wanted

What Samsung is doing is adding in detail which your camera did NOT capture - what ever this is, it is NOT photography - and that picture is NOT YOUR PICTURE -

And yet it IS ADVERTISED as Photography -

Whats more important, is that this 'trick' would only work with the moon.

• A Camera that could take a sharp image of the moon, with no VR and no Tripod, .. and NO LENS - Would be a hell of a camera - FYI this is the camera that Samsung Advertised
    • A Camera which uses other images to make your picture 'look better' - is NOT A CAMERA -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Whats more important, is that this 'trick' would only work with the moon.

Not really, a smartphone camera would have face/body detection and filtering that may include image reconstruction using pre-trained face/body machine models to create a picture that would look pleasantly enough to be accepted.

• Advertisement

Ok but it wouldn't have detailed AI Related enhancements for a subject (be they person or structure) that is far enough away as to have the same Apparent Field of View as the moon - when fully zoomed in -

Take a picture of the moon - AI Enhancements KICK IN - Bobs your uncle, look at that AMAZING! (Its so amazing its hard to believe it wasnt taken using a telescope)

Take a picture of a building in the distance - so it appears the size of the moon on your phones screen - Blurred, because this time the AI had no 'enhancements' to add -

Apparently this has been going on for a while, back as far as the S20s so -

In general, the S23 et al, camera is not capturing these images - it is spoofing them, using the work of professional photographers

This is fake, whether it is fraudulent is open to interpretation - but it is fake

It is also FALSE ADVERTISEMENT for that matter

All IMHO anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Goes to show how far AI is going. It doesn't really bother me, it always seemed like an unnecessary party trick. You obviously feel very strongly about it, though.

I wonder if someone could get a refund on the device, based on false advertising....not that I think anyone actually buys it for this feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I personally didn't buy it for the moon shot and when I got my s21 ultra it had one of the worse cameras I've seen over the last few years,I have a thread on it somewhere on here,

Was pretty much useless until they brought out the Expert Raw camera update and subsequent camera updates,

100x zoom is terrible for anything but moon shots,at 100x or even 80 x it's a blurry wobbley mess .

But Moon shots weren't on my to buy for list

Advertisement