Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a wonkey tuner?

• 17-03-2023 4:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭

As a result of the recent upheaval with the BBC channels I had to do a scan for the new settings for BBC News(et al)

I think it was 10803H and 22000.

Eventually ,after a long search through what I had on the box,I found it .

But it showed up on the Eutelsat 5 channel.

Is that possible or is my box just playing silly games and misreporting stations that are actually on the Astra channel as being on the Eutelsat channel?

Actually all the fta channels I have been watching for the past 10 years are showing up as on the Eutelsat 7A channel even though I have been told thst this is not possible.

Is my box riddled with gremlins or are the BBC channels actually available here in County Galway on the Eutelsat platform?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Your box has a file that lists the known settings for each satellite. For convenience they are listed by satellite name to help you during setup. In practice, many satellites use the same or similar settings such as 10803. If you read through the list you might see it mentioned many times. Which satellite you get is based purely on what part of the sky the dish is pointing at. Most boxes don't know or care which satellite they are actually receiving and the name displayed is just what's on that list. In this case it is just coincidence that Eutelsat have similar settings as the Astra ones on 28.2East.

Over time that list will become outdated as satellite operators change the individual settings. The recent BBC changes are a good example as the box would not know the new settings and you would have to manually add them. It is possible to get and install updated lists but that is not essential and best suited to the more advanced user, familiar with FTP etc.

The channels on 10803 are the SD versions which will cease broadcasting next year. If your box is not capable of receiving the HD versions, you will have to consider upgrading it.

Advertisement