Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Moss in Reseed

• 17-03-2023 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I reseeding field last September however a shocking amount of moss has now established on it .Any solutions to sort this out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Did you do a soil test, moss sounds like a low PH and needs lime.

Could also be low fertility

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭karolmc100

Would have got lime before it was reseeded to help with breakdown will lime cure problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Moss only grows in extremely low acidic pH soils lime needed badly IMO. Ground lime is the only cure too and plenty of it that fact that moss is thriving tells.me you need probally 2-3 tons lime per acre for the next 2-3 years to correct it. It cannot go out in one go 3t per acre is the maximum hence it needs lime for the next few years.

There is a new lime scheme giving up to 16 euro a ton for lime worth looking to see if you eligible, if so get samples done to show a lime requirement and make a plan for spreading it kn the land.k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Are you dealing with a lawn or a field

Moss thrives in soil that has a low Ph. no point in putting on lime without getting a soil test.

If the fertiliity is low the grass won't grow thick which will leave lots of room for moss to thrive too.

So I'd be recommending doing a soil sample and testing for PH, phosphorous and potash

September was a bit late to sow grass seed, some years you'd get away with sowing in september but this was an awful wet winter for grass seed to germinate

Advertisement