Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixings for EWI boards?

Options
  • 17-03-2023 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of work done on my house.

Just a question on the fixings in the picture below, I thought that for EWI the fixings were plastic with a pin/nail hammered in to fix to minimize thermal bridging? I've used metal fixings for dry lining before, and I ended up with visible patches even after plastering and painting due to the cold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

You are correct they should be the plastic ones. Apart from the thermal bridging issue those metal ones will eventually rust and the stain will come through the render. Looks like they are cutting corners to save money so what else are they going to do. Will the insulation be brought up through the soffit and down to foundation level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

It seems the metal ones may be required where there is a fire risk although I’m not sure this exists in this case. Best to ask the installer

https://thorhelical.com/insulation-fixings/fixing-external-wall-insulation/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Ya will do. Their is a contractor doing the full job, but understanding is that this piece needed to be done now to move the electrics, with the contractor doing the rest of the job later. Had not considered the fire rating but would still share the rust concerns raised above! I'll talk to them Monday

Advertisement