Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divestment of National Schools stalled in North Dublin due to parental objection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

One school? Not sure if that's a trend. Nonetheless, all the primary schools in my area are oversubscribed - due I think to the lack of infrastructure/facilities keeping pace with the unprecedented population growth in the last decade or so.

As someone mentioned earlier, there's a lot of unknowns in the divestment process. Including perceptions of Educate Together having more focus on the lastest woke trends rather than traditional education. "Better the devil you know" as a previous poster put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I've been involved in a couple of these situations due to involvement in parents and residents associations. The most recent one there was significant worry that the school would be divested form the RC church managment. Very surprising as many in the school were not RC. The main reason was that the school is extremely well run so why get rid of something that works well . No one is forced to participate in RC teaching and there is respect from the sttaff for all students. Why mess with something that works well for everyone,

Another reason, and something I experienced personally when previously involved in choosing a school struchture for a new are, is that many people involved in promoting Educate Toghther are more fundamentalist about it's belief structure than any religious school. There is a perceived lack of tolerance for different opinions and I think that can be seen from the way Educate Together react every time parents vote not to have divestment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There were 2 issues in that Raheny situation - I believe (knowing some of the parents there), it started out as a bid to have the 3 schools as a single mixed school from JI to 6th class, rather than the current format where it is a mixed school JI to 1st or 2nd, and then the kids go to either a separate girl's or boys schools, on another campus, if I am right.

I believe the response from the Dept was "you can have a single school once it is non-Catholic".Making the whole thing into a much bigger deal than it was.

That was my understanding and I am happy to be corrected.But issues such as who would be principal (there are currently 3 principals, at least one would be done out of a job in the single school scenario), and what campus would the single school go on, were just some of the problems brought up.

So it wasn't just "we don't want an Educate Together", it was a decision to leave things as is for several reasons, mainly an absolute lack of clarity or commitment on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just on Raheny, the proposal was not for the schools to be vested in an Educate Together group, but Education and Training Board.

In any case, in this instance at least proposals were not fully developed. Parents would have been willing to take a shot in the dark over this. The decision itself here was not surprising, and it's my personal experience that parents tend to be quite conservative when it comes to education. Most are not willing for their children to be part of an experiment.

That said, what I i find troubling is that this logical and democratic conclusion is not accepted as fair by the author. The absolute lack of balance in an article published by RTE ought to give all pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The divestment process IS crap, because it serves as nothing more than a distraction, a useful way for the State to abdicate its responsibilities in education in favour of laying the responsibility for the current farce at the feet of parents who have no authority in the decisions the Government makes in relation to the education system in Ireland. It doesn’t matter how many bums there are or aren’t on seats on a Sunday because that’s not the basis on which decisions in relation to the education system are made.

They’re not right on the first point because that criteria has been done away with for some years now and every child has an equal opportunity on that basis at least to be admitted to a religious ethos school of which they are not a member of that faith community.

They’re right on the second point though - that there are many parents who in spite of their differences with, and objections to religious organisations involvement in education, are willing to enrol their children in religious ethos schools, in part because they’re basing their decisions on the outcomes for themselves, and in part because their knowledge of the alternatives is based upon the ideology being promoted in those schools which they find even less appealing, less appropriate and less desirable for their children’s education than the education provided in religious ethos schools.

That wasn’t the proposal though. The proposal only ever goes as far as divestment of the school from Catholic patronage, without any indication or mention as to what patronage the school would be under if it were to divest. That’s part of the issue, is that parents are given no indication and no choice as to what they would be letting themselves or their children in for, and contrary to your belief, and it even makes this clear in the article, parents were absolutely NOT willing to take a shot in the dark -

The facilitator's report states that "Parents indicated that the lack of a clearly worked out plan for the three schools meant that parents didn't have a clear proposal to consider. As a result, they were unwilling to take "a shot in the dark" and so plumped for retention of the status quo".

The conclusion which you refer to as logical and democratic is objected to by the author precisely on that basis - that it is neither logical, nor democratic. It is in effect an outright example of “tyranny of the majority”, in that the author asks the question as to whether or not it is fair that the majority of parents should be able to veto the rights of the minority of parents in relation to their children’s education, when that obligation to uphold the rights of all parents and their children in relation to education is one that is ultimately the responsibility of the State.

What kind of balance are you looking for really when 90% of schools are Catholic ethos schools, the divestment process is portrayed by the Minister for Education as an attempt to redress this imbalance, and the author points out that it is inherently flawed based upon the fact that it is entirely unfair to parents who do not wish to have their children educated in Catholic ethos schools? Do you perceive an article as unbalanced when it blatantly points out the Governments failure to invest in education and provide for alternative models of education when they scale back on building new schools to cater for a growing population which was always diverse, but this diversity among the population has never been reflected or represented in the Irish education system?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0309/1361112-school-constructions/

Complaining that the article is unbalanced in that context, once it’s put into perspective, is ridiculous really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This might be a naive question but does anybody actually ask the children who have to endure the institutions what they would like in terms of education? Perhaps if they had some ownership they would be more likely to be active and engaged in their learning. At least in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We're talking about national schools here, so children of primary school age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If a majority were in favour of moving from single sex to co-ed, why wasn't that half of the project progressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭uptherebels

so no evidence to back up your claim.

i am shocked at that

Are you taking the proverbial or what? I provided explicit evidence to back up what I claimed; I was referring to the divestment process IN THIS CASE. That’s what you left out. I provided direct citations from the article to support what I claimed. And you come back a week later and say I have no evidence for what I claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They'll vote not to go to school, and not do the subjects they don't like be that Irish, Maths, PE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

I wouldn't trust these governments to open a bag of crisps.

If they want more schools for their imported populations, then they can off and build them instead of playing cuckoo like with housing.

Parents know the score.

this was your claim.

I didn't "leave out" anything

"The divestment process in this case failed simply because the majority of parents already have their education of choice available to them"

you have provided nothing to back that up. nothing detailing peoples education of choice, just a lot of faux indignation.

So care to try again or will you be retracting?

There’s no faux indignation. I’m perplexed as to your inability to read what’s written in front of you. I don’t care to try again tbh, I’ll leave you think whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

IMO he backed up his point comprehensively.

I think you're trying to argue a different point. That the parents weren't allowed to create their own choices. But offered poor alternatives to what's currently there, thats what they refused.

you are entitled to your own opinions not your own facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

What does religion have to do with educational curriculum? Parents should be doing it on their own time.

Certainly don't want my kids involved in respectfully marking all religious dates. Never get an education.

They can decide their own faith when older if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Im an Athiest and im quite happy for my children to go to the catholic school they go to.

We looked into Educate together, among other schools, but it wasnt for us. But talking to other people who have their children in Educate together schools you would think i had committed some sort of sin on them. They are relentless in trying to force their opinions on people who have different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I agree. I'm not religious, the power of the Catholic Church in Ireland would have been my main concern about education in the past. But now I am more concerned about intolerance on issues like gender ideology than the barely present "Catholic" ethos. But until there is some organised secular push-back, what remains of the traditional school seems to be the best place for a tolerant education, which remains focussed on core ideas like reading, writing and arithmathic.

Religion and beliefs. Not all irrational and intolerant beliefs are attached to an organised religion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement