Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supersoil- Snake oil?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

@Finty Lemon

Here's an example how to use Humic, Fulvic in a mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Supersoil have lodged a complaint with the EU about cartel behaviour by fertiliser industry:

Don't have access, so maybe someone can upload the text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would they need to prove, legitimate interest? Essentially, that they have a competing product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They just pissed that the Teagasc trial showed it to be rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Ironicaly supers oil also do not sell anything that could be mistaken for fertiliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

I emptied a.few inches of the bottom of an ibc tank with molasses in it before Xmas.....it was mixed and 3 load of slurry taken out about a month ago nows its foaming above the slats......is this a result of the molasses???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks like it yeah. Some sort of a reaction anyway.

Yea it is you'll often get the same result when juice from a fresh silage pit goes in too. It's the sugars feeding whatever biology is in there. Careful it doesn't go and lift the slats. It does enhance the fertilising value of the slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robinroos

I have the man with the tractor coming up to spray today but I am short 3Kg of supersoil.ie. If anyone has 3Kg available near Ballinafad, Co. Sligo, I would happily fetch them and replace them later.

Thanks, Robin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

You would be better off topping it up with 3kg of piss from your sceptic tank, you'd get a better return on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

Wasting your money.. Chop up a used tea bag in 300L of Water and spread it. Will give more return......

Speaking of tea, if I had the microscope and the time to establish the fungal/bacterial balance of my soil and formulate a compost tea to remedy that balance then I would. I don't have the time, so blanket application of off-the-shelf supersoil.ie is the best that I can do just now.

I have in mind to buy a Dirt Simple Brewer (Earth Fortifications / GreenPro Solutions) but budget for that will be next year.

Thanks for the other comments also, made me laugh. Problem with the septic tank proposal is that those bacteria are anaerobic by and large, the ones which create smells and raise acidity in soil. My peaty soil is acidic enough!

So, anyway, I'm working to make my soil more aerobic and to foster the aerobic bacteria (ideally 1:1 with fungal elements) and will judge success by observing grass root depth.

Come to think of it, some types of tea are particularly "woody" in nature; I'm thinking particularly of Rooibos Tea (South Africa). It is the "brown and woody" items in compost which promote growth of fungal elements, whilst the "soft greens" promote bacterial growth. If I made a compost tea out of (Rooibos) tea, perhaps 2Kg in a 100L aerated and moderately warmed brewer, and particularly if I could innoculate the brew with fungal elements at the start, then two days of brewing might be just the ticket for redressing the balance in a bacterial-heavy soil.

Grass likes it 1:1. Fruit and Veg like it heavier on the bacterial side, and orchards/forestry like it heavier on the fungal side.

If you have composted manure in the yard, or get a small amount from some other farmer, make a tea of that. I haven't done it, but Bokashi method was recommended to me.

I can probably find some (composted manure), but it would have to have been hot-composted aerobically and not be an old slimy sloppy mess. Aerobic composting requires that piles be turned periodically, specifically each time the pile starts to cool.

Thanks for the suggestion. However I believe Bokashi would be the exact opposite of what is required. Bokashi involves the fermenting of greens under anaerobic conditions (in sealed containers). The fermented greens are not in a state suitable for use as compost, and must be buried in the ground for further decomposition to take place.

I see where you are coming from. Elaine Ingham thinking. But consider this. Not all anaerobic is bad. Food is anaerobiclly stored and fermented and what biology requires is food. You can apply Lactic Acid Bacteria which is anaerobic and it'll turn soil aerobic. Same with Jadam Microbial solution- anaerobic and it turns soil aerobic. If anaerobic was bad, cows wouldn't thrive on silage and humans on kimchi and sauerkraut.

20 minutes after turning compost a few inches in it's gone anaerobic again. Whatever oxygen was there has been consumed by then.

Bokashi large scale is something nearly on a par with silage making. Use a silage pit. Have your fym about 4, 5 feet high, mix in your rock dust or oyster shell, biochar whatever, add your LAB and cover. And wait.

Absolutely "Elaine Ingham thinking"; I'm heavily subscribed to the Soil Food Web concept for soil fertility, and for that matter to Alan Savory's ideas on rotational grazing for pasture management.

You can apply Lactic Acid Bacteria which is anaerobic and it'll turn soil aerobic. Same with Jadam Microbial solution- anaerobic and it turns soil aerobic.

I will read up about those with interest.

On a side note,

If anaerobic was bad, cows wouldn't thrive on silage and humans on kimchi and sauerkraut.

yes, but the digestive systems of cows and humans are much different to the symbiosis between plants and the soil microbes which feed them.

Yeah, I'm using the long rotation of 43/44 days and moving daily, if I can. I think the bovine digestive system reverse mirrors the interaction between microbes and plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Elaine inghams ideas aren't all grounded in reality. Would personally recommend forgetting about compost teas and focus on ph, plant diversity and use humic acid/fym

• Advertisement
Advertisement