Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving garden plants UK to Ireland

Options
  • 18-03-2023 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I’m reading conflicting information online - I’m currently moving house from UK Mainland to Ireland.

Can I freely move these plants across on the ferry, or are they subject to phytosanitary rules and checks?

I’ve got several beautiful Acers and would really like to bring them across to our new home.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you were a company dealing in plants you could send goods into Ireland once they had phytosanitary certs and forms. However garden plants are a problem as you have no control over what bugs and diseases you bring with you in the soil and the plant. So you would not be able to bring live garden plants. Diseases have been imported into Ireland and the Irish authorities do all they can to regulate the situation. You could of course bring in - and indeed take back to the UK - disease on shoes, car tyres etc, but generally the authorities want to do the best they can to limit this. Of course there is every chance the trees would not survive the transfer anyway, especially if they are mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭mct1

Unfortunately since Brexit the EU plant passport no longer applies to the UK. You would need to apply for a phytosanitary certificate to bring any type of plant or seed over here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/627d8-how-to-import-plants-and-plant-products/

It caused major problems initially for Irish seed suppliers but many are now sourcing from other EU countries instead.

Advertisement