Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRV not closing radiator

Options
  • 20-03-2023 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all.

I have a problem with a radiator fitted with TRVs. When my gf is cold she puts the heating on but then I roast in the studio where I work as it gets sun in the morning.

I used to simply shut down a bit the TRV on the rad, setting it to 1 or 2, but this does not seem to work anymore. Even when I set it to 0 is still boiling hot.

I removed the TRV head (set it to 5 and then unscrew it) and the pin seems to go down when I push it and back up when released so I am not sure if the issue is the TRV head or the valve. I tried to change the head from another radiator and same thing.

Most of the threads I found where about the opposite issue, rad not heating because the pin was stuck so not sure what to do here.

Any ideas?

The TRV says Terrier on the head and has *,0,1,2,3,4,5 number. This one I believe

https://www.diy.ie/departments/terrier-chrome-plated-angled-thermostatic-radiator-valve/34012_BQ.prd

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Sounds like it's stuck. 3 options.

1. Give it a bang and see if it frees up
    2. Replace the valve
    3. Turn it off on the return side.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Well if you've tried a different head and the problem persists, then it's most likely the valve body that's at fault, assuming both heads were the same and screwed on fully.

BTW there should be no need to adjust the head setting because of increased solar gain. Once the room heats up -no matter what the source of the heat- the valve should close when it reaches set temperature.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of those heads and bodies are just mis-matched and don't close-off fully. Do you have another style TRV head in the house which might have been mixed up with this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galycos

Thanks for all you comments.

All the TRVs in the house are the same model except one vertical rad.

I did swap the head of this one not working for another one that was working fine, just to check if the problem was the head or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Sadly trvs only last about 10 years, my house is 15years old and i replaced 2 last year and 3 more have stopped working since, best to replace them all every 10 years to avoid having to drain the system every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭10-10-20

How is it that you have to drain down to replace the TRV's?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Presume you're replacing the valve and the head? Replacement TRV can be got for most valves.

Oh lol, yeah, sadly, its the valve that fails, google says they last about 15 years

Advertisement