Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Security Shock Irish Independent report 20th march 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its all theatre anyway for the most part. I wouldn't be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Grand, so you reckon it is all BS then??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

to a degree the theatre aspect is a deterrent.. but in working everyday scenarios …

between the multiple dual view X-ray machines about 25,000 each, must be at passenger and staff screening about 50 in the airport, ETD, initial training and testing for security personnel, recurrent training… there is millions invested, just at Dublin…..internal audits, DOT audits, EU audits …it’s heavily regulated and audited. All a DOT auditor needs is a 20 euro Ryanair ticket, a suitcase with a test piece inside it to give the operator the same view as if there was a concealed IED or concealed firearm , if it’s not spotted, trouble, fines and sanctions….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The fact that the wistleblower is in a WRC dispute with his own employer makes it not surprising that he would make claims like this no matter what the reality is. However it was last summer when this claim was made and we all know the airport had major problems then. I hope the airport had learned its lesson. Easter is only a couple of weeks away so we will find out soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Security scan time issues have definitely changed, we went out last week on Thursday morning, arrived at the T1 bus drop off at 8:45, and we were airside and through the security scan by 8:55. There was no queue at the entry to the scanning system, and even more amazed, there were no queues at the scanning points, they were waiting for people to arrive at the belts, and it's a very long time since that happened. It made for a very much nicer experience, I'm guessing they had the extra staffing on to ensure that everybody is up to speed for the Easter period.

It's a long time since I can remember being able to leave home and get to the departure gate in under an hour, and that included parking in the Blue Zone and getting the bus to the terminal. I'm not going to hold my breath on that though, I suspect we just got very lucky, and that it will revert to the less than stellar experience before too long, unless there's been a massive change in the DAA culture.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Passing through T1 security a couple of weeks ago, one lane was using new scanning equipment that doesn't require liquids etc. to be removed from bags. I assume this is under test but it was a quicker and less stressful process for passengers. Let's hope this will soon become the norm at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've used it twice now, first time was accidental but second time was deliberate. Was told that it would be rolled out across the airport but they didn't have a timeline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Big front page headline today in Irish indo

huge security concerns

some guy got through security and boarded a plane with NO passport and NO boarding card.

The alarm was raised when he got onto the plane and took a seat.

he was hauled off the plane and faces court now

what the hell is going on in dublin airport security lately ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

I've got on EI flights without any ID checked at all at least twice. All flights to the UK, mind, but they're still supposed to check something. Boarding pass was checked though.

• Just cone through Dublin Airport security T2, whatever about thoroughness or whatever, they were very nice and super efficient.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Common Travel Area between UK and RoI. No need to check ID.

Security staff check boarding card only.

Boarding staff check ID and boarding card. (I'm not sure about this for UK flights)

Cabin crew check boarding card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus gate staff called the cops after the guy made a dash for the plane. So no fault on Aer Lingus staff or procedures.

Ball with the DAA to explain how he got past the boarding card check before security.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Dashing for the plane, not really the brightest lad so?

Any update on how he got pass the DAA security check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

As I said, my ID wasn't checked at any point. I understand the CTA of course but I would have assumed someone would have to check some ID at some point. In any case it looks now like this guy just forced his way on to the flight so it's kinda irrelevant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For domestic flights in Australia the only thing checked is a boarding pass, and even then you scan it yourself.

I was almost tempted to buy a ticket in the name of Jean-Luc Picard....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Just bring back in a passport control check before you hit screening like we had in the early 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

I know the staff doing the screening aren't properly trained and thrown into the deep end. They are not paid or trained properly.

A couple of months ago someone got through with two replica guns. That was in the paper. Now that was dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Why? The airlines do this anyway and for UK-bound travellers it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Theoretically he could have found a boarding pass on the ground anywhere in the airport. There's nothing to tie the person to the boarding card until he gets to the gate (where he barged past the check in staff).

So I'm not sure what extra security is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It's completely possible to pass through security without a boarding card.

Try transferring planes at most major airports, its normally possible to get through security without a boarding card at all..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

Yes, same lad. It apprears the tax payer is going to send him home.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

How can your man caught for a second time go home if he has no passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's being deported rather than being let go back on his own terms.

Advertisement