Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new license questions

• 20-03-2023 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

hello folks,got the license for the new 223 today,i got the S but also +SE.....see photo,what does +SE mean? i presume the other s gives authorization for a moderator?

also the first part of the conditions on back..see photo... says firearms or ammunition not to be concealed on person in public...so does that mean i cannot have the bullets in my pocket,or in a bag,but must have them in some sort of way that they can be seen?if so how? ...last part says ..all ammunition must be stored in a separate locked receptacle..do i need to buy a separate small safe,or will the lockable compartment inside my gun safe be adequate?hope im not being silly with the questions,thanks

Post edited by sniperman on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do you have electronic sights (thermal, nightvision, infrared and/or light amplification)? If so this is the SE on your license.

As for the ammo/gun being concealed. It would appear the licensing department is stepping up it's "campaign" of stating the bleeding obvious, otherwise known as reminding us of the law.

You cannot have a concealed firearm I public. The firearm being loaded and concealed would cover the ammo part so I wouldn't, personally speaking not legally speaking, be too concerned over "concealed ammo" being a few loose rounds in your pocket if you've a gun or not.

Ammo storage is simply the ammo on a locked box. Like an ammo can with a padlock on it. I believe the guidelines actually state NOT to store the ammo in the same safe as a gun.

The rest of the conditions are AGS just stating what is already said on law but they're using the conditions part of the grant to remind you, and enforce, that the guns cannot be left unattended, only used on lands you have written permission for, etc.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks cass,no i dont have any nv or thermal,but would like to,so does the se mean im now authorized to use night vision (with land owners permission)without being prosecuted??.i think ill get an ammo box,just to be sure anyway,

Did you tick the sights box on your FCA 1?

The ammo box is law so you need it at home and in the car. I bought a few ammo boxes in a military surplus store and fitted padlocks.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

yes i did tick the sights box,.....ya ill get an ammo box as well,a small one as im only allowed 100 rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Rescueme0007

Sounds like you have been granted permission for "sights electronic" (SE), whether you requested or not. I'd be loath to give it up in case you ever feel the inclination to get NV, infra red or thermal sights in the future. Lucky you!😊

• Advertisement

If you ticked the sights box them you applied for electronic sights. You don't need to tick the sights box of it's only a standard scope as these aren't regulated.

That means you have permission for electronic sights and can buy and use them. However there is debate and concern that AGS are now labeling these sights as restricted firearms so an unrestricted license is not legally valid to possess them.

Check out this thread for more details.

thanks,so if i decide to get night vision,ill be ok if stopped some night by guards,as long as i have farmers permission?

At this moment in time, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭BSA International

The restriction that you can only shoot on land with written permission. Never seen or heard of that. Isn't that one of the topics on this consultation panel? Can I ask did you provide written permissions from landowners to get licence? Would this mean the firearm can't be used on say a range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

That restriction is a new one. Maybe The Powers that Be are jumping the gun ! It is one of the topics that the FEC are looking at.

What strikes me as odd is that they don’t seem to have anyone on the FEC panel that actually shoots. Restricted to the land you have permission for. Really ? So a farmer invites you to shoot on his land. Do you rock in to the AGS station looking for an amendment allowing you to shoot somewhere else ? The season would be over before that came back.

Offhand I think I was in seven different locations last season shooting pheasant and duck. Maybe six different places deer stalking. Several of these were invitations . Apparently restricting the use of your firearm only for the purposes you have stated on your application. Ok, shotgun… bird shooting, vermin control, occasional clay shooting. Rifle…. Deer stalking, vermin control, (foxes, grey crow etc) target shooting. Have I missed any of the legitimate uses of a sporting firearm ?

Question… is a rifle scope with an illuminated reticle now restricted ? It does after all emit light even if only onto the reticle.

I have seen similar restrictions on where a gun can be used but they were either limited certificates or "special" cases.

As for illuminated reticles, no. They're not light amplification devices nor are they light beams.

hello.i dont know the ins and outs of all this night vision talk,in my op i just asked what a few things meant,yes i did provide written permissions,and i dont see any reason why one could not use their rifle on a range.so as far as i know now,i have permission to use night vision (for now) on land i have permission to use nv on.

Sniperman - yes i did provide written permissions,and i dont see any reason why one could not use their rifle on a range.

This conversation came up some time back in the main shooting forum.

The debate was can you shoot wherever you want once you get your license regardless of what you tick or don't on the FCA1.

The FCA1 asks the reason for the firearm. It provides three reasons. Hunting, target shooting, and other (including clays). The FCA1 is poorly designed as it lumps reasons for a rifle in with a shotgun which does not always "transfer' well.

My argument is you may only shoot for the reason(s) you tick. Others argued once you have the firearms you can do as you please.

The range aspect is a tough one. Under the law section 2(4)(d) covers anyone to shoot on a range. However if you didn't tick target shooting on the FCA1 and provide proof of membership then you didn't declare your intent. So which is it.

The reverse, I believe, is much easier. If you ticked target shooting but go hunting without providing the signed permissions then you're breaching the conditions of your license.

That's only my opinion and it'll take a problem or court case to give the final word on it so take from it what you will.

Advertisement