Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows / Front Door - Suppliers - Window Brands - U Value

Options
  • 20-03-2023 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me here - Looking at changing out windows and front door.

We are happy with triple glazed Casement Windows (opening outwards) and Apeer Front Door.

I am based in the Tipp / Clare / Lmk area in Munster.

Trying to get a fitter/Comp whom I had confidence in is exhausting - Everyone wants payment in advance of the fitting but if you read the reviews its shocking

For example , Munster Joinery Limerick or Senator Windows. - It really makes me nervous when the terms are payments in advance

I was looking at Walshe's windows in Limerick and they use a Kommerling 70 Window Profile , but to me a U Value of 1.4 appears old in 2023 for triple glazed , any thought on this ?

There's a Polish company called Fenbro whom are getting rave reviews (check their Google Reviews) however, they don't do Casement windows in UPVC. Their UPVC windows only open inwards and we have blinds etc so not a runner.

What is a modern profile UPVC window in 2023 and a company in my area which provides them.

As an FYI out of all the companies I received quotes for Fenbro where the only company which provided a full details spec drawing of every window with a U value for every window. Other irish places no where near as professional and I have tried nearly all of them.

Help on this anyone ?

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eeo

Hi, i'm in same position, waiting one a quote from Senator, thought their reputation was meant to me good so let me know if you've heard otherwise. I visited Walsh windows last week, you are right about that Uvalue its not great. I'm waiting in a recommendation from a friend so I will pm when i get it. Looking into Fenbro and Rationel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JackZapper

Thats what I thought about Senator aswell - pay a bit more however quality. But the google reviews are not great and dont reflect that - Fenbro I'm pretty annoyed about to be honest that dont do the UPVC casement opening outwards - Their google reviews are ridiculous - Was in Walshes myself recently , not convinced on windows but do like the Apeer front doors - But want payment before any kind of designs / plans or anything

Would love a PM to get some advice from you

PS - Have heard some negative comments on Alu Clad about imber rotting in the Irish Climate - Not sure this just people with interests in selling UPVC or is genuine - Just an FYI on that (See your other post)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eeo

Thanks, I know it's impossible to know what is factual, trying to research as much as I can. I will PM when I have recommendation I have messaged someone who does some development work,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm in the same boat, anybody got experience with Bonmahon Joinery?

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: As pre forum charter, recommendations/comments, good or bad, by PM. Thanks.

No never looked into them, to far away from me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ferny1

Hi

Anyone got any experience of bringing windows in from Poland - value and quality looks hard to beat?

That company fenbro I've heard nothing but great things about , plus there fitter is supposedly brilliant aswell. Check there reviews.unfortunately they didn't have the style window that I wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is a question mark around how timber Polish and other eastern European windows react to the much higher humidity levels here in Ireland.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

I should add, I was looking at uPVC windows not the timber /aluclad windows.

I think those Irish climate concerns on the aluclad windows are in general and not restricted to just eastern european

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Two different issues here

the alu-clad issue is one consideration

non alu-clad timber windows from eastern Europe are a separate consideration

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Okay , the just timber issue, I have zero knowledge research done on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ferny1

It's uPVC that I am looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gempfer

Fenbro is a commendable company with excellent customer service. However, their extensive range of windows is somewhat limited in terms of functionality and design . Interestingly, their windows have surprisingly high U-values (assuming modern requirements for windows are U <= 0.8). On the other hand, Rationel is excessively expensive (I've been priced 2.4k for timber aluclad tilt and turn 1m2 unit), and I had a negative experience when placing an order with them.

There's another Polish company in the Irish market operating from Co. Offaly—IRLpol.ie. They offer a smaller range, but their prices for the same models and makes as Fenbro are very competitive. Munster was not an option for me due to their unfavorable attitude and high prices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Veering towards breaching the forum charter (Section 3) in this thread. Can we leave the positive, negative and indifferent views and reviews of companies to PM. Thanks.

Advertisement