Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Touch ?

Options
  • 21-03-2023 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Do you need to have an iPhone for an iPod Touch ? like for radio on google it said you need wi-fi for it. Can that be any device with wi-fi like a Windows PC ? like it doesnt have to be an apple product ? Then whats the story with it ? Like If I leave the gaff with me iPod Touch and go out say to the shops listening to the radio. Is there a range Im limited to or will it work wherever I go once I connect to a wi-fi network ? Says only 5th, 6th and 7th generation models has radio. Is this true ? I never had an iphone before but, was given an iphone 8 there a few weeks ago by me uncle because, I lost me phone. I was shocked to find that you cant stick a pair of earphones into a iPhone 8 like wtf They made it separate I mean they made the ipod for music I thought you could at least listen to the radio on an iPhone. Then I seen the prices for earbuds 200 and something euro like WTF man for small little earphones and then the headphones are 600 euro Jaysus like thats mad ! Are Samsung phones just as good as iPhones ? Also what the best monthly package I can get for a Samsung phone like best being the cheapest ? oh and last thing what version of Windows will I need for an Apple ID for iTunes for the iPod Touch ? Also how many GB's is enough to be able to have a big collection of songs and albums on an iPod Touch Is 128 to much ? Cex has a 128GB iPod Touch for sale but, its 200+ euro Is that a rip off ? or should I just go lower in GB Whats the best between the 5th, 6th and 7th generation ? Whats the difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It might help you to format questions as single bulleted points that flow from one to another

Q : Do you need to have an iPhone for an iPod Touch ? like for radio on google it said you need wi-fi for it.

A : No, it's a discrete self contained unit, you do need an Apple Account to make use of the App Store though

Q: Can that be any device with wi-fi like a Windows PC ? like it doesnt have to be an apple product ? Then whats the story with it ? Like If I leave the gaff with me iPod Touch and go out say to the shops listening to the radio. Is there a range Im limited to or will it work wherever I go once I connect to a wi-fi network ? Says only 5th, 6th and 7th generation models has radio. Is this true ? I never had an iphone before but, was given an iphone 8 there a few weeks ago by me uncle because, I lost me phone.

--- word salad---

A: The only iPod to have have an actual radio was the iPod Nano 5th-7th generation (NA-NO!). iOS devices such as the Touch have never had a radio but you can listen to radio stations through apps such as BBC Sounds or 8Radio.

Q: I was shocked to find that you cant stick a pair of earphones into a iPhone 8 like wtf They made it separate I mean they made the ipod for music I thought you could at least listen to the radio on an iPhone.

A: Hello and welcome to 2016, Apple killed the headphone jack on the iPhone 7, several other large phone manufacturers have since followed suit.

This cannot be a shock

Q: Then I seen the prices for earbuds 200 and something euro like WTF man for small little earphones and then the headphones are 600 euro Jaysus like thats mad !

A: That's the price of em, note that quality ear-buds will generally tend to run in the €100 plus bracket (Bose, the good Sonys etc..)

Q: Are Samsung phones just as good as iPhones ?

A: Cameras are arguably better but their software integration blows harder than moby dick

Q: Also what the best monthly package I can get for a Samsung phone like best being the cheapest ?

A: Best is never cheapest, you need to be asking that in the vodafone or similar areas

Q: oh and last thing what version of Windows will I need for an Apple ID for iTunes for the iPod Touch ?

A: What matters is that your version is running the latest version of iTunes so Win 10 or Win 11

Q: Also how many GB's is enough to be able to have a big collection of songs and albums on an iPod Touch Is 128 to much ? Cex has a 128GB iPod Touch for sale but, its 200+ euro Is that a rip off ? or should I just go lower in GB

A: How big is your music collection? I have a 256Gb iPod touch but it's too small to store my library which is 1930 albums encoded at 320kbps VBR.

Most libraries wouldn't be that large, I fit 1300 albums onto my 256Gb with room to spare for apps such as BBC Sounds, RTE Radio, 8 Radio etc.

Q: Whats the best between the 5th, 6th and 7th generation ? Whats the difference ?

A: If you're just looking to listen to music then there's not much difference apart from the CPU and the version of iOS supported. Newer obviously will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Pretty sure the IPhone 8 came with special wired earphones in the box that fit- maybe your uncle still has them?

If you want use standard wired earphones- there are adapters available that can go from IPhone 8 charge port to standard headphones. Official cost me I think 10 or 20 euros but there are unofficial ones for a fiver in like dealz and places.

The Iphone 8 makes for a great IPod.

9 pounds Apple dongle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Lightning-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B01LWAUW1P

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭STEE

I also have an Ipod Classic 120GB from my brother since he passed away but, I cant find the earphones that came with it. My brother used different ones. I read on the internet the earphones that came with the iPod Classic were shite and someone told me on here the same in a different post. So, I was just wondering what would be the best earphones to use with a iPod Classic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭STEE

Q: Then I seen the prices for earbuds 200 and something euro like WTF man for small little earphones and then the headphones are 600 euro Jaysus like thats mad !

A: That's the price of em, note that quality ear-buds will generally tend to run in the €100 plus bracket (Bose, the good Sonys etc..) I've after finding a cheap pair by apple here https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MMTN2ZM/A/earpods-with-lightning-connector Are these any good ? like for listening to music ? I just started using an iPod Classic 120 GB left by my brother, He passed away back in 2021 from lung and brain cancer. I cant find the original headphones from the iPod my brother didnt seem to use them. He used a pair of headphones from a Samsung phone. Also ppl told me on here the original headphones were shite The Samsung headphones sound great on the iPod. Anway are them earpods any good ?

Advertisement