Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joint account

• 21-03-2023 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

My wife and I both have a joint; currant and savings account for twenty years

I only found out recently’ that my wife has another currant account in her name.

I’ve looked into this and was under the impression that you could only have one account joint or otherwise

Any advice would be welcome 

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's no limit on the number of current accounts anyone can hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

What's to look into? There's no problem having multiple bank accounts whether current, deposit or any other type ... just like with credit cards.

• You can have as many current accounts as you want. Always a good idea for each spouse to have their own too imo, everyone needs that element of financial independence to fall back on in various circumstances, eg if one person sadly died, the other needs access to some account to get on with the basics of life. Women can be especially practical in these matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Unless you have this account somewhere other than a normal bank then it is no problem having as many accounts as the bank will let you open, joint or otherwise. I had about 7 with UB which was very handy, all for different purposes. I had numerous joint ones too with other people. Most of mine were savings accounts but you could have more than one current account too if you wanted to and were willing to pay the charges on them all.

Might be restrictions in a credit union but not even sure if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Thank you all question answered 

If you Google 

How many BOI accounts can you have the answer is one 

Not concerned just puzzled

😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

And she has just one (possibly others in other banks)

You could have one too

and you can also have a joint account.

All 3 are different

Mrs Copper

Mr Copper

Mr&Mrs Copper

My mum and dad always had their own account and they had a joint account.

Bank of Ireland do only allow one "Basic" account per person. A Basic account is free and is as described - basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The only type of account is that is restricted to one account is what is called a basic bank account and that is offered under an EU directive which is there to ensure that no one is excluded from the banking system. And actual it is a single account in the state not per bank and you'll only qualify for it if you don't qualify for normal banking services. And the service offered is such that it really is a last resort and not something to concern you.

When talking about normal bankings services there is no limit to the number of accounts you can open, provided the bank agrees. Like all businesses, banks are not required to do business with you, beyond the legal requirements of a basic account, so I guess if you were messing them about and costing them money they might decide not to do business with you, but that is not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

You can have multiple accounts, so I have one in AIB joint, one of my own in AIB, revolut, a couple of credit unions ones etc

With online banking now you can open an account in seconds.

Advertisement