Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost all Satellite Signal

• 21-03-2023 4:15pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All,

As of the weekend my AMIKO HD8260+ box is no longer seeing any Satellites so I have no channels.

The Box is about 6 years old and has worked perfectly fine and seems to be still working as it should.

The dish was originally a Sky supplied Quad LNB unit and is pretty old at this point , around 18 years I think!!

My assumption is that the Dish/LNB has finally given up the ghost , but is there a way for me to confirm this before I look to buy a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Find a neighbour with a dish and try your box out on it. I use a fancy sat finder that would do the job of testing dish and LNB but not many people would want to spend best part of €100 for very occasional use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mibee-SATLINK-Display-Digital-Satellite/dp/B09P4Y85RG/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As suggested, test the box first, at another location.

If still working, the issue could then be one of : Dish alignment (moved, or arm drop), LNB Failure, Connection (at either end) or cable failure. I would start at the dish and work back from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

You don't need a fancy-dan sat finder like that. I have a simple meter one that works (provided you know which direction you should be pointing as it doesn't identify which satellite). It would certainly identify a broken cable or dead LNB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP if you need a cheap sat finder to see if you have any signal of the LNB then I noticed that our local Lidl had a few left €5. If you need to repoint the dish it won't tell you if you are connected to the right satellite but they will tell you if the LNB is pointing at a satellite and its picking up a signal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Thanks for all the input.

The arm for the LNB had completely rusted and was sagging leading to the "no signal" issues.

I ended up just getting a whole new dish as the rest of the existing one wasn't too far behind the LNB arm in terms of rust levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement