Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of repairs

• 21-03-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

just wondering how much I could expect to pay for the following service on 2010 Renault Grand Scenic, Diesel, done in the local garage, not renault:

• oil
    • oil filter
    • air filter
    • top up levels
    • vehicle health check
    • front brake discs
    • front brake pads
    • front fog lamp
    • middle brake lamp (got from renault)
    • H7 bulb
    • H11 bulb
    • Front right brake caliper

I understand that part of it comes down to brands etc... but just looking for a ball park price. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

At a guess 400-550... but depends on the garage (whether they are fair or lump a bit on) and parts.

150-200 for a full service with all filters, etc.

Usually 200-250 ish for discs and pads plus labour.

Caliper, bulbs, the look over... 50-100 worse case.

Surely the garage can give you a ballpark???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

If you went to one of those larger chain type garage that charge for every little thing then you’d probably be looking at close to €800. If you went to a more local mechanic you might get a few freebies like the check over and the fluids and they might have a better labour rate.

Like the above poster said tho, a garage would give you a ballpark figure. You’ve already gotten two figures here which are completely different. But I agree that €550 would be achievable if you find the right mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orlafr

Thank you both for your replies. I just collected the car from my usual garage (not a chain) and I found the bill quite steep (€800) so I went online to try and find out the price of the parts and it didn't seem to add up. They are usually rather fair though so I was very surprised. But thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

€800 probably is a fair price. If you price the parts online you will find that they are indeed very cheap. But these will be the cheapest brands being shipped from other countries and don’t represent what the mechanic would be paying from the local motor factors to give you a quick turnaround. You also have to accept that the mechanics needs to mark up the price of the parts, as they are a business not a charity. Then you have the labour costs that have to cover the rent, electricity, overheads, consumables, tools, disposal of old parts, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Price of the parts might not be miles apart between garages depending on the brands, however labour costs can vary widely between the guy working from his shed to that of a chain of garages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

And insurance they have to pay that too and it's not cheap. That's not car insurance which might be covered under the same bracket but anyway the insurance to cover injuries like if one of the workers hurts himself while working. That's actually a legal requirement if you own a company you have to insure the guys working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

price is decent enough. Braked discs and pads, probably 300, plus labour. Brake caliper, depending on, for my car was 250 for the part alone. Servicing 80/90 euro for parts. Bulbs 10. Health check is a wishy washy ask, and wasnt dont. at best he took it to the shop for lunch.

Genuinely dont know how hooker came up with 50-100 for brake caliper. the fog lamp, could need a bulb or a replacement lamp depending on the car. Dont know in this case, but that could be 50-100 as a ballpark.

Middle brake lamp wont be cheap.

Combine all the cost prices with the fact that the mechanic was probably driving around collecting and arranging parts, plus labour costs. 800 isnt bad, and will keep you motoring for the year

Advertisement