Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Aldi going out of business? Fecking nothing in stock these days.

Options
  • 21-03-2023 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

There is literally nothing in stock.

Anytime I find something nice in Aldi and get addicted to it, for example, their carton of Strawberry and Banana smoothie, it disappears and goes out of stock forever.

They had a bog standard fajita powder that I used to use, gone.

Bramley's mint sauce in a glass jar - gone. Used to mix that with yoghurt for dipping poppadoms on "indian night". I'm expecting their jars of Indian sauces to disappear next.

Cans of Fake fanta - GONE. We only managed to buy that once before it disappeared from the shelves.

Basic Basmati rice - GONE.

None of these are special "middle aisle" things that are supposed to disappear. It's becoming extremely annoying to shop there for anything other than plain white bread and milk.

The only reason I shop in Aldi is because it's the closest to me.

Thinking of heading further to try out Lidl.

Does Lidl constantly remove basic products never to be seen again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭StreetLight

"Literally nothing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

You need to get up and out earlier in the morning.

Aldi and Lidl only stock what they think they will sell all of, and if it all sells early in the day, then that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Who's buying up all the fajita powder, basmati rice and cans of fanta every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Well, from now on I'm definitely going to.

Good luck. You won't find any as they've stopped stocking it. Nobody's buying them because they don't exist anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Brexit supply chains innit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No they are not going out of business.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Them sausages in Aldi are very nice. Yum. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

People like you, except they get up early in the morning.

They must be on the dole. Who'd be shopping early in the morning like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

I read an article by a man that was nearing retirement & had worked for Aldi for years, he said it was young men coming out of college telling them they were doings things wrong that was going to ruin the company, forgetting the model that had got them to where they were.

Do you remember the adverts here in the early days of we don't pay staff to stock shelves so as we can pass the savings on to you. That's all gone by the way, they aren't cheap anymore & I think the quality of a lot of there stock is poor, we use Dunnes now for most things, vouchers & the points as well as great choice & quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I hear you OP. No mint sauce in either Aldi or Lidl but trays and trays of cranberry sauce three months after Christmas. I’d like to blame Brexit but I reckon it’s also suppliers putting their prices up so they stop stocking their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh ive noticed this a lot with them. Its frustrating more than aything. They were doing a cinema style popcorn which was a copy of manahattan. Every bit as nice and a fraction of the price. Gone.

Frozen lamb shanks. Gone.

Fried onions. Gone.

They were doing a premium type of fizzy bottled lemon and orange. Great for making rock shandys. Gone.

The list goes on. Lidl is no better.

Its like they say to themselves " jesus people really like that product. Get rid of it."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would agree with the statement about them not being as cheap against competitors as they used to be.

A lot of their food is now as cheap in the likes of Supervalu own brand, or Tesco cheap brands or Dunnes.

But I think some people just assume if it's X price in Lidl or Aldi, you won't get it cheaper elsewhere.

I still buy a few staples in Lidl, such as OJ, as they are still the best for some things.

But I always used to buy their jam. It's now £1.49 in their NI stores, so not sure what it is in Roi stores, but my local Supervalu has their own brand jam at 79c/83c.

Also see Laurel hedging in the newest magazine. £3.99 each or 3 for £10. Local garden centre sell them for £2 each.

And anytime I walk up the middle aisles now, and see stuff like screwdrivers, or rugs or garden equipment etc, I know I could get it at same price or cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This a a big Aldi and Lidl problem (at least if its what I think it is). They do these stupid mixed boxes of stuff. So some chocolate covered biscuits come in a mixed box half plain half milk chocolate. Then there's mixed boxes of tea, Earl Grey, Breakfast tea and one other. Same with jars of sauces like, mint sauce, cranberry sauce, tartare sauce, horseradish sauce etc. So what happens is everyone takes the one they like leaving trays of stuff that no one really wants. With the tea the Earl Grey goes really quickly so you can sort through 4 or more trays and there is non left. I would guess that stock control shows the shelf is full but often its not full of anything I want to buy.

Edit> Another thing I'm sure both stores do is bulk buy stock that they get offered at a good discount. Lidl have had a sauerkraut for a few months now that is really very good, price is less than direct from the Irish manufacturers website (you can order on line). But I doubt Lidl will ever stock it again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree. Add to that

Plain kavanaghs (i.e. not protein) porridge pots - gone

1kg Skyr tubs - gone

Popcorn kernels - gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The problem is that Supervalu, Dunnes and Tesco own brands / cheap brands aren't as good as the Aldi / Lidl brands. The premium supermarkets will tell you they are but they aren't. They are also loss leaders.

Advertisement