Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company obligation under the road traffic act?

• 22-03-2023 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Company i work for have recently asked that all company car drivers apply to the NDLS for a copy of our driver statement stating that they "have a legal obligation to comply with Road Traffic Acts and we need to ensure all employees who drive on business are correctly licensed and legally entitled to drive."

We all annually submit a copy of our drivers license and sign a declaration so i feel this is already covered.

I appreciate they do have an obligation but does that obligation come under the road traffic act somewhere? If so is this new and what section does it fall under?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ask them what section of the RTA they are complying with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Probably to do with the regular news stories of people not turning in their drivers licence when banned. Someone willing to ignore a driving ban will also lie on the declaration that they aren't banned.

The only way that a company can know that it's drivers aren't banned is confirmation from the NDLS. Letting an licenced person use your vehicle is against the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Possibly this is something their insurers have required them to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Section 38 (3) of the Road Traffic Act.

The owner of a mechanically propelled vehicle shall not employ a person to drive the vehicle in a public place unless the person holds a driving licence for the time being having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle.

Having a driving license card or signing a declaration isn't legal proof that you hold a driving license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Thanks Augme, that is exactly the answer i needed.

The other replies also have helped me get a better idea of where this is coming from as well.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People need to be held in contempt of court for showing up in court without their driving licence.

Advertisement