Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir broadband connection - old phone line into the house issue ?

Options
  • 22-03-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone has had this issue....

our old eircom ph line is buried under the floors of the house and we cannot locate it. Floors all tiled over etc yrs ago. We've had a lot of work done in the house and are v reluctant to go pulling tiles up and skirting boards off to find the old EIR copper cable.

The cost to run a new cable in from EIR may mitigate the whole price saving exercise of kicking virgin out.

Q is there a way to find the cable in the front garden where it comes into the house - would you have to dig quite deep?

we have a general idea where the acble may run, as the old ph line was in the corner front room, so the cable would have to be going straight toward there right?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

I had to do this, luckily, I had found it by accident a few years ago. I dug down where my lawn meets the path outside my front door, couldn't locate it so I moved along the path and tried another pilot hole, located a pipe (not much deeper than the filling under the path) but wasn't sure if it was for eir or ESB.

I lifted the eir manhole outside my property and got someone to move the cable about while I held the pipe I had located - bingo - it was my eir connection. I then diverted the pipe (with a new section of pipe) along my pathway to outside my sitting room window. I drilled through to my sitting room and eir ran my fibre to the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Banzai600

thanks v much

( front parden is paved, havent gotten arorund to lifting it all up yet). but the info you gave me is great, i will find the eircom box outside and see if i can locate the cable - cheers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I take it your house is too old to have an outside access cover near the house from which a duct leads into the house for a phone line? I seem to recall having a chat with the builder who said all new houses had to have them. this would have been around 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Banzai600

Advertisement