Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility door

Options
  • 22-03-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Good afternoon everyone.

Would anyone be able to advise me about little problem I have?

I want to completely block my utility door. I have detached house with 4 external doors and the one in utility is old and drafty. I want to get rid of it and I'm wondering do I need planning permission to do this. I'm attaching a plan of my house with all doors highlighted.

I would appreciate if someone could help out.

Regards Matt

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As it would appear to be at the back of the house, I would suggest no, you don't need planning permission to block it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Matt666

It is at the back of the house. The house itself is out in the country (no neighbors around) Thank you Docarch for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

An external door entry into to a utility room is very useful. Great for bringing washing out to line, entering the house after doing a muddy walk or job etc. If it's drafty a better option might be to replace the door.

Deeec I have 4 external door and the one in utility isn't used at all. I have lovely decking on the other side which I use for laundry. Blocking it would also free up some space on the wall for bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,047 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I agree with both replies above and I would also suggest replacing the door rather than removing it and building up the ope. It would be just as cheap. Also if it's in a rural location then most likely it is the door that would be used the most. No planning required should you decide to close it.

• Advertisement

Thank you lads 🙏

Advertisement