Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal aid fraud

• 22-03-2023 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My wife has showed up to family court twice with a legal aid solicitor. I have seen her application form in which she answered "n/a" in the section where you put your income. I have sent the legal aid office proof of her €20k in savings, €1.5M in property wealth and sample invoices from her business activities (gross income approx. 60k pa). I received a response something along the lines of solicitor-client confidentiality and to mind my own business. What can be done to stop this ? Should I go to the guards ? It seems like this would be a prosecutable offence in the UK and elsewhere but here it seems like everyone is at this. I feel, as a taxpayer, I'm paying to be legally attacked.

Post edited by family_law on

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds familiar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If legal aid is still being provided it might be worth taking it to a higher level and writing to the Legal Aid Board Chief Executive, John McDaid and / or the Director of Civil Legal Aid - not sure who holds that office. Include copies of your correspondence with the local legal aid office and their reply.

In any case I'd keep any evidence of undeclared assets and income for use in the family law proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

She will be required to complete an Affidavit of Means which will be witnessed by her solicitor. You will have to do the same.

These documents will be exchanged in advance of the separation agreement / divorce so you have time to review them.

If it is not accurate then your solicitor will advise you what action can be taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Get your solicitor to mention it the next time you're in family court, judge won't take any serious action but it will reflect very badly on her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement