Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous Labador Puppy

Options
  • 22-03-2023 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi. I have a 7 month old Labrador male pup. He is a great dog but the one problem is he is terrified of anyone that is not me or my wife. He backs off and hides behind me if we meet someone in street. I have seen him physically trembling with fear if he doesn't have escape route and someone trys to pet him. I was hoping he would grow out of it but seems to be getting worse. I go him from a breeder in Carlow and everything was above board and all the pups were well cared for. I have no explanation as to why he is like this. We had to cancel holidays as there is no way he could stay with someone as he would be too stressed.

Was hoping someone could give me an idea of what I can do to help him.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Puppies go through fear stages and if he’s already a bit spooky the fear stage is magnified! My girl wasn’t like this at all but both boys have been.. In your situation i’d book a session with a behaviourist and they can come out to you and help make a plan to build his confidence. If you post your location somebody will be able to recommend somebody near you or check apdt.ie

My guy better than he was with randomers trying to pet him but it’s so hard because some people are drawn to a puppy/dog and then terrify them without meaning to which sets your training back. I used to have a harness with ‘IN TRAINING’ to stop people letting their kids come near one of my dogs and it worked quite well - she was terrified of kids after a bad experience.

Lastly do not neuter this dog any time soon - one because he’s too young and two because he needs all the hormones he can get to help with this.

Advertisement