Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you holding off on extension?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I consider myself so lucky that I managed to do a kitchen extension in late 2020 early 2021, I must have just hit a sweet spot before prices rose, now it was a small extension basically to push out the existing back wall of kitchen/dining room by 2m along a length of 5m with new roof on that part and 2 velux windows plus 1 very large floor to ceiling window. Total cost including new kitchen/appliances and 5x5m of lvt flooring approx 31,500. I don't have particularly expensive tastes so it's an mdf kitchen and laminate tops but I love it.

The kitchen didn't include a new island as I was repurposing part of the old kitchen counter, the initial cost for doing that went mad in the few months while I was deciding how to configure it as I had decided to live with the kitchen for a while to see how best it would work. Anyway the countertop part alone had well over doubled in price from initial quote so I ended up making the island myself using the old framework and ordering the countertop directly.

Sympathies to anyone trying to get building work done now! 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Did you do the footings yourself or get direct labour for that? How did you go about finding direct labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Robert Jackson

Sounds about right to me as me and my sister bought a house in Gloucestershire in August 2022 and had extension work done prior to moving in we were originally quoted 1180 but the eventual total cost was about two hundred and fourteen thousand i dont know what type of work you are having done but I would imagine you are going to struggle to get it for anything less than a hundred and twenty five thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Dug the footings myself, got someone in to do the block footings, it's just knowing friends of friends that are in the trade really and knowing they are good workers.

Advertisement