Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncertain about the future

• 23-03-2023 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've been in the same job for over a year and I enjoy it, well most of the time.

I've obviously got my bad days, but the good days outnumber the bad and I have a reasonably good relationship with my co-workers and managers. The salary is good and the working environment is good and I mostly enjoy going in every morning.

There is one major issue that is annoying me a lot, my job is quite far away from the nearest city and my area is quiet, too quiet for what I'm used to. It takes about 50 minutes to get to the nearest city by car, and I don't have a car, public transport is pretty limited and most of the time the services don't run at night, the time I prefer to be out drinking and socializing.

I don't really bother going out to the nearest city a lot because of the inconvenience of trying to get home, most of my friends that live in the city, or close, have got children and wives/girlfriends and I don't like asking them whether or not I can stay on their couch, I feel like those days have passed!

There is absolutely nothing happening in my area and most of the population are a lot older than me, there are a few shops and pubs, but little to no activities for younger people, it's very laid back and this doesn't really suit me because I was born and raised in a city and I love drinking and clubbing and socializing late at night.

I would much prefer a job in the city, I'm just worried that it will be difficult to get a new job nowadays with the upcoming recession creeping in, I really dislike where I live, but I really like my job and a similar job in the city may be difficult to get with the current demand.

I just feel like I'm too young to completely stop socializing and I feel like the longer I stay in the countryside, the more difficult it will be for me, I don't really enjoy my weekends anymore because there's nothing to really do.

I miss my weekends out with the lads and I feel like the more I think about it, the worse it becomes.

Any advice from anyone that's been in a similar position before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TuamJ

I got priced out of the cities so I made the choice to move back down the country. I am also single and 30 something and it was a trade off. No doubt about it. Most friends are either abroad of coupled up and my social life is definitely online centered. Emails, video chats, planning trips etc

I'm quite introverted so I potter around on weekends and do a good few weekends away meeting up with people and sometimes alone. I have often thought that an extrovert would crack up living as I do and I empathise.

For me it was 'pick your shite' - scrape by in the city paying out the nose in rent to be close to friends who are coming out less as they pair off anyway and sacrifice the facilities and things to do or save lots of money living in the country, be able to afford to go abroad and take the money stress of my back but I can't walk to the gym or drop into a writing class after work and my friends can't drop over. Neither are ideal. Neither are what my 16 year old self thought my life would be like but I am much, much happier with the financial strain gone.

My advice would be to start job hunting. See what's out there. You'll drive yourself mad sitting around wondering what's out there and should you or shouldn't you. Start looking and if you get a good offer that I'd say that's a sign that you should take it. If you get no bites or stupid offers that would have you scraping by in the city then you'll also be in a better place - if you stay getting a a car would be a priority. In that situation I'd also consider going abroad for a year or two. Life is too short to to be lonely and isolated and wondering what if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get a car.

Ig you want to stay in the city overnight, book into a hostel or B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clenspraoi

I think I will stay in the countryside for about another year and save up some money before moving back to the city. Maybe, by then, the accommodation crisis will be under control and it will become easier to find a cheap place to rent

That's a great idea, it would be a better investement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Book into a B&B for going on the beer. They're well used to people staggering in after the pubs. Even if you do it every weekend, it'd still work out cheaper than paying rent full time in the city.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that seems to be the right way forward. I was hoping to spend every second or third weekend in the city and try to regain my social life.

Advertisement