Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Half Marathon 2023

• 23-03-2023 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of doing this, the furthest I have run in a race is 10 miles so hoping with a reasonable amount of training that the extra 3 miles will be ok.

My question is did anyone run this in the last few years and what is the route like, are there any issues joining in with the main marathon though I assume most of those will be going for a decent time as I think the joining in point is around 15 miles.

I am setting a target with a decent range of 1hr 30 - 1hr 45mins.

In the 10 mile races, I do not take any gels and very little water, from what I have read it seems wise to take gels so I will do this in my long runs, probably different for each person but where would you take them; once at 6-7 miles and should you drink small amounts of water at each station, also something I must practice!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you've raced a ten miler then you will be fine for the half with a bit more training alright.

The route is reasonably flat with a few hills. The first comes at the 3/4 mile mark where the route turns off the Kinsale Road on the turnoff up to Togher. It's short and sharp. Then there's a bit of a drag before the half way point up through Conolly Road at roughly 6 miles I think and another drag at Farranlea Road at around the 8 mile mark. From there it's flat to the finish.

You wouldn't really notice the marathon and relay runners joining the half marathon runners. It happens as you exit Pairc Ui Chaoimh. I've never noticed any congestion in the last few years that I did it.

Regarding gels/water - I think that's a personal thing. If you find you get a benefit from the gels then go for it. I'd suggest perhaps one five minutes before the start and the other at 6-7 miles as you had planned. Definitely test them out in hard training runs to see how you react to them. With water I think the current advice is to drink to thirst. If you're thirsty then grab a bottle, if not then don't. It's easy enough to lose time at water stations with people running across you and whatnot so if you feel you don't need it then leave it.

Having said that, Cork tends to be a warm day. Last year it was a wet day but previously it's been quite warm so you may need more water on a day like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

There is no relay this year so once you merge with the full marathon, that's it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well we don’t know the time (or route) of the new 10Km so the half could be running into that at some point.

@Infoseeker1975 I’d agree with Deepblue. I tend to carry a 300ml soft bottle of water with Tailwind myself and don’t take water at water stations so doesn’t slow me down but it will be quieter this year anyway without the relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

IMO they are missing a trick here with the early 10k start time v the later half start time. The 10k runners will be finished before anyone else and presumably head off home. The relay added atmosphere that the race would otherwise be lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes but it also clears the path for marathon and half marathon runners as I presume the 10Km crowd will be huge and have a fair few walkers? I think it’s to do with road closures too out in Blackpool and being able to open the roads again there.

I do agree that the atmosphere will be lacking in the marathon route though without the relay.

Advertisement