Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my sim-only mobile phone plan/provider

Options
  • 23-03-2023 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on a Red sim-only phone plan with Vodafone for €35 per month. It was €25 when I signed up and I am out of contract. I want to move to a cheaper plan elsewhere. On Switcher, there are plenty of plans with unlimited texts and unlimited data but some of the plans have a limited download speed of 5mbps and 10mbps.

Firstly, it appears to be relatively easy to transfer move to another provider but how does that affect my current contract? Does the new provider cancel my current plan with my existing provider and will I see any kind of penalty? Also, how do I prevent both accounts from crossing over and essentially paying for two phone plans within a period of 30 days?

Lastly, can anybody recommend a good plan? I use my phone frequently and it is important that I am on a plan that allows for high-quality video and music streaming. I was looking at Clear Mobile but the download speed is limited to 5 Mbps. The plan I am on at the moment (Vodafone Red sim-only) suits me perfectly.

Unfortunately, I am new to this as I have been using a work phone for years and only bought a personal phone last year and have never changed network provider. With my home electricity, I was penalized for changing even though I was out of contract as I didn't notify my old provider before changing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have a look at GoMo. You can get 5G for €19.99 pm. If your phone is not SIM free then you will need to get it unlocked before moving to another network.

Edit: €19.99 should read €14.99

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Looks good. How do I determine my move date so I'm not paying for two plans and whether Vodafone will penalize me or not? Sorry for the stupid question. I don't trust any of these providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Provided you are out of contract then when you port your number the contract with Vodafone will automatically terminate and they will send you your final bill. Try switch on the day or as close as possible to your Vodafone billing date to avoid overpaying. If you do overpay you will be in credit which they can refund to your payment method (bank/card) but best try avoid it if possible.

Gomo or 48 would be my 2 recommendations although many seem to have data problems abroad on 48 which is why I would first try gomo.

gomo.ie

48.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I checked the coverage of GOMO in my area on Commreg and it doesn't look great. Does that mean anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Comreg is usually fairly accurate. 48.ie operate on 3 so you could check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I moved from VF to gomo, best move I ever made. Look on your VF bill to see on what day of the month it ends, get your SIM card from Gomo and schedule the porting of your number for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Eir & Gomo are on same network so you can cross check Gomo with Eir on the Comreg map.

If you want to check actual coverage then get a PAYG SIM from Eir and one from 48.

Eir have PAYG plan with calls, text & 120GB for €20. Gomo is cheaper but it's better to try it out on Eir before committing to a bill.

48 PAYG is €12.99 for calls, text and 200GB. Same network as 3. 48 SIMs are free with 1GB to check coverage.

While checking coverage on Eir and 48 PAYG SIMs, you could switch your bill pay Vodafone SIM to Vodafone PAYG and not have a bill to pay for the interim.

Post edited by Ten Pin on

Advertisement