Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grundfos scala pumps

• 23-03-2023 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

I have a Scala 2 pump installed , is leaking ; is a design issue with the grundfos scala 2 units , a redesign is in the works, under warranty grundfos will only install a Scala 1 pump as a replacement

Scala 1 pump is fixed 3.5 bar

Scala 2 is variable up to 5 bar

Main house is 250m2 with 3 bathrooms , the out building is 125m2 with 2 bathrooms

I asked grundfos and a plumber if a Scala 1 is fit for purpose? , nobody can give me a definite answer, I assume the more expensive scala 2 pump was installed for a reason over the cheaper scala 1

I do not want to have issues with water pressure using a Scala 1 in place of the scala 2 currently installed

Is the scala 1 pump fit for purpose?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Scala1 model 3-45 (4.5M) will pump the same as the Scala2, 2m3/hr@3.8bar and 3.0m3/hr@3.0bar but the proposed Scala1 model 3-35 will only pump 2m3/hr@3.0bar and 3.0m3@2.5bar. but might be adequate for your usage.

The 3-45 model has the closest capacity to the Scala 2 so you might ask why are they proposing this one.

If your present Scala2 is still running and you can see the %speed then you might open a few "normal" big users and see what speed its running at, it might also be set to a constant pressure of maybe 3.0 bar can you check for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭clodola

Thanks John

Reason they won't replace, I was told no stock , only have a Scala 1 but I notified them, all local suppliers around me have stock

Transpired, they are receiving a large volume of Scala 2 pumps failing , design issue requiring a redesign, new design will have 2 year warranty vs 5 year current design, new design is not a available for a few months ..no idea if this information is correct but it is what they communicated to me

They said they have not had issue with Scala 1 model

I do have the option to try and find a local supplier who will give me a Scala 2 and get a restock off grundfos, I pay a plumber to fit , but grundfos wants me to find the original builder who fitted the pump and shop they purchased from , no idea ,before I owned the house, impossible task , I was going to drop into a supplier and see if they will work with grundfos to give me a Scala 2 under warranty

I am told it should be grand but why did the previous engineer spec the scala 2 vs cheaper scala 1

Will turn on a few things and see if the pressure ramps up

Turned on 3 cold taps upstairs and downstairs (6 in total), pressure dropped in the taps

Pump remained at a constant pressure of 3 bar and did not ramp up to meet demand(default setting)

Probably just primed , wired and not setup to suit the application , default settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

The main reason for a variable speed pump is power saving, the Scala2 will maintain whatever head (say 3bar) its set to, the scala1 head will increase with reducing flow so extra power required, you can probably easily achieve a average of 60 to 100watts power saving overall, say pump runs for 5 hrs/day, saving up to 0.5kwh/day or 180kwh/year, say €70.

Thanks, john , makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 EllieKelly123

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! We are in our house less than six years and on our fourth pump. That one is now leaking aswell and we're outside the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Maybe you should also stay away from them after 4 faulty ones? 🤣

What are you going with next?

Advertisement