Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling

Options
  • 23-03-2023 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Landlord has decided to sell up but has given me a new lease for a year I’m confused why he would give me a new lease if he is selling up. What would my rights be if it’s sold before my lease is up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Best is to ask the landlord, why he gave you new lease if he is selling.

Living the life

Review your lease for clauses, its probably states that the lease can be terminated if the landlord decides to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭dennyk

If it's a fixed term lease and there's no break clause in it allowing the landlord to end it early for that reason, then you can't be given notice to terminate the tenancy until after the fixed term is over, even for a reason that is allowable under Part 4. The landlord could sell the property during the lease term if they wanted to, but your tenancy and your lease would convey with the property and would remain in effect, and you'd become the tenant of the new owner under the same lease terms. Once your fixed lease term was up, the new owner could terminate your tenancy for one of the allowable reasons under Part 4 at that point if they wanted to, but not before then.

Advertisement