Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - New Build

Options
  • 23-03-2023 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I am a first time buyer and I am availing of the HTB scheme and FHS in order to purchase a new, one bedroom apartment (in a fantastic location). Having been a long-time lurker on this forum, I have consistently read 'location, location, location'.

However, I work in the tech sector, and as we have all witnessed in recent months, the tech sector is laying off staff in large, multiple waves. There is a small possibility that I may be laid off within the year, next year, the year after etc. Who knows.

I fear that if this happens, I will not be able to sublet the apartment due to the rules within the scheme. Does anyone have any advice? I really do have my heart set on this apartment, and it is the only new build apartment which I can find below EUR 500k in Dublin.

I have thought of the following two possibilities:

1) If I did lose my job, I could try and sell it, but I am not sure how easy it would be to sell a one bedroom apartment at approx EUR 450-500k (even if it is in a super location).

2) Is there any way of subletting it? Even to a family member?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1 - Paying anything towards a mortgage effectively means you can't be evicted in Ireland from your PPR. So if you loose your job, don't bury your head in the sand, work with the bank, pay the barest minimum and ride it out.

2 - You would have to buy out the FHS portion but in general I wouldn't bother with renting anything if you don't know what your really getting into.

Your post in general strikes me of a person overreaching financially.

Advertisement