Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Car would you bring in VRT free from the UK

• 24-03-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving to the Uk shortly to work for a little over a year.

This should give me the opportunity to buy a decent UK car, and bring it back to Ireland when I return. I then eventually sell without taking much of a depreciation hit. (I am aware of the 6months on UK plates, and 12months on IRL plates etc...)

So what car would you recommend.

For reference my current cars are 2014 BMW M5, 2010 BMW 535D, 2007 335i.

I was thinking of selling these and getting a BMW M50d X5 but would like some other suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

BMW i8. Nissan GTR. Jaguar F Type. Is there an M5 touring?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You should do some more checking on transfer of residence requirements. A “little over a year” will mean that Revenue will check your application more carefully. Assume you are going for a job meaning that you will have occupational ties should hopefully be in the U.K. If you have a family (personal ties) and they are not going with you and you return to see them regularly, Revenue will assess that you have not lost your Irish residence for VRT purposes (this is different from income tax before anyone starts interjecting). Personal ties trump occupational ties. Just be careful with it would be my advice.

As regards the car itself, truly unusual cars are harder to sell (GTR etc) and it’s not always easy to get a private sale at high values.

Talk to people like Beshoffs if you plan buying an exotic and see what they would buy/sell it for you. Or Al at Lewus Motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Pretty much anything in the highest VRT bracket would be suitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

The best 911 you can get. They are all in the 41% rate and have v low depreciation, indeed many are going up in value.

I think an X5 M50d is risky as X5 PHEV has similar performance and can be imported at 7% VRT

Advertisement