Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant in situ scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Very understandable but you are looking at potential homelessness in the case of some people being asked to leave in the present climate. Exactly how the scheme works, who gets priority etc., I don't know because the information is very patchy.

Doesn't solve the overall housing problem which, in my opinion, is overall lack of units for purchase, rent at reasonable prices and as social homes. But in times of extreme shortage, the priority has to be to keep people in their homes.

Another scheme called mortgage-to-rent has been around a while and there's a lot more information on it. That scheme is for people who can't pay their mortgages.

The "in situ" scheme isn't even for people who can't pay their rent - they can - but are nevertheless being asked to leave so I suppose it is understandable that the Government are increasing the rental in situ scheme given there was not much outrage over the other one.

In order to make the tenant-in-situ scheme the equivalent of the mortgage-to-rent scheme they would have to extend it to people who can't pay their rent. Then, one might argue, it would be fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I refused the councils first 2 offers on mine and ended up giving in when they offered 30% over what the next highest bidder had offered. How could I say no? But my god it must be costing the tax payer a pretty penny.

Even if its a charity, its tax payers money. Really cruel on those people who thought they had finally got on the property ladder to have the rug pulled from under them using their own taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Council did that in my development, bought an entire cluster which had been on public sale and many of the houses had been sold. It's completely contrary to the council's own policy with regard to ghettoisation and there have been lots of problems but it got the council off the hook for not building enough homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I'd agree with Leo in that the homelessness stuff is overblown, many people could find alternative accommodation but they are not motivated to do so for various reasons. There are examples on another thread of someone not wanting to move home for a while or turning down places they don't like. The idea that you get to be fussy and have the state pay your rent doesn't sit well with me. They should prioritise families, but for single people or couples I'd offer emergency accommodation and stick to the existing social housing list in terms of who gets priority. I'd say over 90% of the HAP tenants faced with notices of termination wouldn't take them up on the emergency accom option, because they would find other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Absolutely. They need to target it towards those genuinely in need, though I think it needs to be pointed out that those availing of the scheme will still pay rent. Maybe not the currently inflated market price rent but rent nevertheless. The other thing that needs to be factored in is the cost of emergency accommodation such as hotels and the like if the scheme were not in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And since there are no consequences to not paying councils their rent it'll be a bigger mess when your local property tax is used to pay back the loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amio

so i am LL looking to sell my property to the local CC, i would love this to happen for the tenants in situ, so i had to serve th NTQ, have had a structure inspection, and a EA was in on behalf of CC....

has anyone any experience of actually selling to the council and know how long or what else e will have to happen before they make an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lcats

Hi amio, I wonder if you mind my asking how this process has gone for you so far in terns of selling g to the Co council?

Was it quick enough, a market offer etc?

Estate agents come in and do not look at any issues in the structure of the property and overlook anything a buyer would potentially flag ,

I'm wondering are the valuers working for the council more thorough ? I guess they have a builder Conduct a structural assessment first so the offer a council makes would be more fair in terms of potential work a house needs .

Apologies didn't intend to go on , any experience with this that you wouldn't mind sharing I'd appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 celbridge74

I've just agreed a sale with the council yesterday. We had contacted them in mid March with questions and they sent an expression of interest form. We had to get BER and independent valuation so it was heading towards mid May before we applied. They then asked us to get the tenants (who are there 11 years and have a tenancy termination notice date of October) to contact them, which I assume was to assess that they were suitable under the scheme. They contacted towards the end of June to organise separate surveyor and valuation visits three weeks ago. They came back last week with an offer €15000 below the independent market valuation. We immediately turned it down and the valuer came back just as quick with a €10000 increase in the offer. We thought about it over the weekend and named that we wouldn't accept less than the independent valuation and after it being progressed up somewhere in the council for approval, they offered that today. We had linked with the original auctioneer who valued it for advice in the interim and he felt that the valuation was still the same. Even if we had taken the risk and gone to the open market any potential increase would have been wiped out with auctioneers fees and the hassle/cost of getting house painted etc for selling- and the risk of tenant's overholding (as it will be impossible for them to something on the open market at the rent they've been paying). It's been a relatively smooth process so far but I assume that they won't be in a huge rush to complete now that the tenants are no longer at risk of becoming homeless.

I sold an apartment to the council. There were no tenants in it when I sold it but I had the same sh1t with them. They kept offering under what i wanted and i said no and they came back. Eventually someone else bid way, way more than I was expecting and then the council topped that bid even. In the end sold to the council. I think they will have decided they want the house and have x amount to spend on it and then they will bid anything up to that. We had an EA who has sold to the council befoe and he advised us that they would pay that amount so not to accept the lower bids. We got a bit worried but he was right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I just recently heard this from someone who works for a LA, so I'd don't know if its an urban legend or 100% true, but anyway.

3 bedroom house. Tenants there for 12 years. The landlord put it up for sale, offered it to the council, but they wouldn't pay the price the seller wanted. There was a €5k shortfall. He told the tenants that he would sell on the open market instead. The tenants offered to pay him the shortfall €5k in cash, if he'd accept the council offer. He took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lcats

The estate agents certainly don't give attention to potential repairs or updates a buyer would have to factor in. Thank you very much for sharing experiences, great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oscar1039

Has any tenant been successful with the council purchasing an apartment with a management fee in place ? Currently waiting to hear from council about landlords application. Also does anyone know what price caps are in place for the Dublin councils for a 1 bed apartment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There isn't a (modern, anyway) apartment without a management fee anywhere so if they've bought any apartments, they've had management fees. And they have bought apartments going on reports here

Advertisement