Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland ditch daylight savings regardless of what the UK and NI do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It would be amazing to arrive in Belfast before you set out from Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't know if they have a specific stance on grid integration, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were opposed to electricity as a concept

They'd probably advocate for gaslighting to come back into regular usage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jeoun

Just change the clocks by 30 minutes - split the difference. Then we never have to deal with this nonsense again!

• Advertisement

Ugh, no, they do that in India (GMT +5:30) and it's a pain to figure out what time it is when you're trying to call someone there

Discreet 1 hour differences is much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm glad you pointed that out as I was going to say that no one else does a 30 minute difference but obviously would have been wrong, as wrong a the 30 minutes seems.

Wake me up when it's all over.

There's a few places that do that, generally where most of the country is split by two time zones

India and Iraq are the only two that I can think of off hand

China had a pretty hilarious approach which was to sync the whole country up to one time zone

Probably would have made sense to split the difference, but instead they went with Beijing time, meaning in the Western most provinces the sunrise is at 10am in winter, and sunset isn't until 7pm

For comparison if we move to permanent summer time we'd have a sunrise around 9am and sunset just before 6pm in winter. Still a bit weird but not quite as extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There's a zip wire between Spain and Portugal. You go back in time while on it.

The Lebanon has got itself into a twist on time change. It now has two time zones, the official and unofficial. The Govn't halted time change because of Ramadan. Reading the article, one woman found she was to be in two places at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There's no place in Ireland that would have those times - more like mid winter sunrise 9:45 am , sunset 5:15 pm - pitch dark at 6 pm

Places like say Belmullet sunrise 10 am

Dublin 0940/1708

So much for longer evenings

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Click on any of the offsets on this link, and see the masses of information for all sorts of variations worldwide. Any country is free to do what they want with time. If Mayo could persuade the rest of us that they need their own time zone, that could be done at present, no need to wait for the ending of DST. If it was to be half an hour different to the rest of the country that would be OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_time_zones

Well 5pm sunset is a longer evenings than 4pm sunset 😉

You're correct that it's not exactly going to mean evening pints outside in the sunshine in December, there just isn't enough sunlight.

It'll likely have a more pronounced effect in November and January, and to me that seems worth it in exchange for some dark mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reminds me of a story a Liveline caller from Old Parish, Waterford told where the DST system was just introduced. A lot of people weren't having it and a parish meeting was called to discuss the issue. They eventually came to the compromise of bringing the time forward by a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I'm not fussed about the 6 counties or UK other than trade and detest the fake border or shudder at the thought of it being physically re-instated. From a geographical POV every 15 degrees of longitude is one hour and Ireland is within those 15 degrees of longitude the same as Britain. As for kids having more day light I couldn't care less about their right to play, children should be seen and not heard no matter if it's dark or daylight. I'd make it law all kids under 16 out unsupervised should wear hi-viz vests in town mostly the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭briany

That might be what you want, and that's obviously fair enough, but you'll get other people who want that bit of extra light earlier in the day as well. A suggestion of darker mornings would have the parents out in force complaining about their little kids going to school in the pitch dark.

I'm sure plenty of people remember the half hour difference in pub hours.

"Closing time in Irish public houses was half an hour later during summer time (23:30 instead of 23:00). In 2000, the closing time hours were simplified by removing summer/winter time changes."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,751 ✭✭✭buried

Couldn't give a f**k what time it is myself but then again I'm self employed in a trade so as long as its daytime then I can get work done. Only time I take any notice of is when I need time to sleep, which can be any time I deem fit.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The numbers on a clock are just that, numbers. We make 7am sound early because we are "programmed" (not the exact word I wanted to use but I hope you know what I mean) to do so. The time difference between sunrise and sunset must be nearly 2 hours between Berlin and Madrid so the daylight dependent jobs start and end at a different time between the two cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I would prefer a longer evening in the winter. Still as long as there is no clock change I'd be happy. Bloody nuisance having to go around changing the clocks and watches all around the house/car etc. twice a year.

• Advertisement

Most devices are automatic now, even my heating controls update the time automatically

Oven clocks are still in the 20th century however 😬

The thing which really annoys me is that moment of confusion when you wake up after the hour change and you're trying to figure out if your phone updated automatically

Oh, also trying to get the kids to bed after the spring hour change and they're not even tired yet. Living that dream right now 🙄

Yes and no, businesses don't obey sunrise and sunset, so it can affect people's perception of time. Personally I find it horrible arriving home in darkness because it feels like I've been working the whole day

Which I guess is true if you're talking about the solar day

Trading a dark morning for a slightly brighter evening would be a good deal as far as I'm concerned, but I do appreciate not everyone feels that way

Changing makes no real sense in this day and age with lighting systems etc. It was only brought in during World War One as a temporary measure!

As a parent I disagree with that viewpoint 😉

I think some kids will be walked to school and some will be driven to school, it depends more on the parents schedule and the weather than the amount of daylight

I thought it was the 1970's in Ireland during the oil crisis?

I think Germany brought it in in WWI to save on coal and that's where the legend comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

So much wrong with the ‘sensible listeners’ logic.

Just some of the incorrect assumptions: I didn’t go on a flight.

If I did go on a flight somewhere, I would be on holidays and can get out of bed when I chose.

If I did go on a fight somewhere, and it was to a different time zone, the sun would still rise at approximately the same time as at home.

I didn’t go away on holiday, but I have to get up an hour earlier because stupid reason.

I don’t think that this ‘sensible listener’ has read any of the studies that have concluded that changing the clocks has a negative impact on people’s mental health, and leads to unnecessary deaths.

I think that the people who die unnecessary each year would have a thing or two to say to the ‘sensible listener’ if they were not dead.

I'll be honest, I don't really think the health effects of daylight savings are that extreme

I don't think anyone has actually died from the hour change but it's more of a death by percentages situation

I just find the hour change annoying and the whole concept is dumb. We're creating more hassle by keeping it around than getting rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭highdef

We don't have "Daylight Savings" in Ireland. We have "(Irish) Standard Time" from end of March to end of October and winter time from end of October to end of March. The long summer evenings are a godsend and have been one of the things that has kept me from emigrating. If Ireland stayed in Standard Time all year round, it would mean that I could begin to do outside chores and pastimes after my normal working day from around the end of January as well as being able to sit outside late in the evening on a nice day......yes f&*king please! Winter would seem so so so much shorter and I could still enjoy those endless summer days.....Heaven :-)

Correct, but since it basically has the same effect and intent as daylight savings, then we can call it daylight savings 😉

I think you're overselling the long evenings in winter a bit, as others pointed out you'd be looking at sunset just after 5pm in December which isn't exactly beers on the balcony evenings

But even a bit of daylight in the evening in winter would make a lot of difference, get the kids a bit of outdoors time and maybe get a walk or run done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭highdef

Exactly, whilst the shortest days will be dark outside of the regular work day whether we observe Winter Time or Standard Time, a month or so after winter solstice and you have useable evening daylight (for the regular shift people), about two months before is the case at present. That's a MASSIVE benefit from my point of view.

However, whilst "Daylight Saving" and "Irish Standard Time" might be the same thing in terms of timings of sunrises and sunsets versus local time, would it not be better to use the official term for this country rather than the term used in a foreign country? Ireland observes "Standard Time" from end of March to end of October, not "Daylight Saving".....this is more of an America/Canadian/Australian term and not an Irish or European term. Have me not got enough "Americanism's" as it is?

Advertisement