Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Mobile

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you don't have eir BB, gomo 15 deal is same thing. Same APN for data, same fair usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

My mate has gomo for yonks no issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Appears to be a few things going on in Vodafone Ireland at the moment. The delay and silence around the launch Sky Mobile and the sudden complete stop of the 3G switch off, they even removed the mention of Cork and Galway from the plan on this website.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

Vodafone is now selling off its business in Spain stating financial reasons. The Vodafone network outside of cities still needs a largest investment as part on the RAN refresh program as many sites are still 3G only.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone were eyeing up the option of selling Vodafone Ireland business.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/vodafone-sell-spanish-arm-zegona-530-bln-2023-10-31/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I wouldn't really be too surprised either. Vodafone had it good for so long and now the network is falling behind. Their customer care, or maybe more so their ability to get things right/fixed in one go without having to raise case after case, call back after call back is through the floor and no sign of that improving what so ever. For years I've been happy to pay a premium for robust and decent network but that's a thing of the past. Sky could nearly do themselves a favor and dare I say it choose Eir instead. The 3 network has enough MVNOs

I went with eir with trepidation

but you’re correct ref VF falling behind yet still charging a premium,

bit off topic but from memory wasn’t Elon musk rolling out BB and phone contracts here?

know some ppl have BB from his company here but heard nothing about his phones etc being rolled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

I read it was to be in 2024.It was a newspaper story earlier this year or even 2022.Might have been by Adrian Wreckler in Irish Independent

I was same re eir (gomo), wouldn't have any concerns now. They've been great in rural and urban settings

I was roaming in Spain a year ago and I had to use VF ES and Christ, throttling was an understatement at 1-2 Mb whereas family on gomo were flying it.

Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teacuplover

I have recently signed up with Sky for BB and TV. When I spoke to the customer care team about 2 weeks ago, they told me that the mobile offering will be rolled out early next year. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

Sounds promising but same story we heard in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

While I hope it's true it also sounds like spin they would say to get you to sign up to a contract regardless of whether they know if it's launching or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Delayed.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/sky-mobile-delayed-in-ireland-until-second-half-of-2024/a1440357872.html

So it'll be like virgin mobile where you'll have to keep bargaining with them.

Didn't think Tesco is biggest mvno?

anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

I pulled the pin and renewed my contract with VF for another year as I’ve been paying the full rate > 6 months now.

At a guess (I might be wrong) , I’d say the sky launch is months out at best as they would be plugging it all ready …… (I.e. launching August XX etc, Y rate, cheapest market rates etc) in order to get anyone nearly out of contract to hold off on renewal. Got to remember this was announced in 2022 to launch in 2023 , it’s a year or more late and very little information since.

My guess is they are waiting for Vodafone to complete the 3G switch off at least in the big cities.

The last update was sky was second half of 2024 so that would line up with Vodafone switching off 3G in Cork, Dublin and Galway this month. Limerick was switched off last year.

My Sky TV and BB bundle offer is up in September so I’m hoping it launches by then or I’ll be locking into 12 months with eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Why do you think that the 3G switch-off will help? Vodafone used to have excellent coverage before the 3G switch-off, but it has deteriorated since, and both native Vodafone custoners and MVNO Post Mobile customers are complaining. Vodafone need to be adding new 4G/5G infill sites to improve coverage. Eir have gone ahead of them, installing lots of 5G fibre-fed monopoles.

It increases the risk of disruption to new customers. Someone signs ups for sky mobile and using 3G for a few week then 3G is switched off and that user is left with E, thats potentially a call to support and damaged reputation, bashing on social media etc.

Vodafone are rapidly upgrading sites around the country so the longer they wait they better experience new customers will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Will Sky be a main operator or MVNO? Are they likely to provide WiFi calling?

• Advertisement

MVNO on Vodafone network. They offer WiFi calling, 4G Calling, eSIM and 5G in the UK so I'm hoping they offer similar here once they launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

No harm in hoping, but I wouldn't bank on it! UK has 13 times the population of Ireland, so operators have an economy-of-scale to develop features that may not be economic here. Also - in UK, Sky uses Telefonica(O2) as their host operator. Telefonica don't operate in Ireland. Vodafone have the worst WiFi calling service in Ireland, even for their own customers, and it didn't launch until 2019 vs Eir who launched in 2017. It still lacks text messaging and doesn't work while roaming. If they can't get text messaging working for their own customers, I wouldn't hold out too much hope that they will get it working for MVNO customers. None of MVNOs in Ireland offer WiFi Calling currently. (GoMo offers it, but is not really "virtual", as it is 100% owned by Eir, and is just another marketing brand on their network, with all the same network features as Eir).

Have a look at the coverage map of Ireland for 5G on the Comreg site, and you will see that Eir 5G coverage is now significantly more dense than Vodafone. Vodafone 3G coverage on Vodafone was excellent, and is still visible on the Comreg map even though it is now switched off, but they have fallen significantly behind on building out 5G infill. Vodafone was probably the best operator here for many years - but not any more. Perhaps Sky are considering jumping ship, and maybe this is causing the delay in their launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

Sky Mobile now testing network on Vodafone using a 089 number. Maybe a precursor to a launch soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Actually some more thoughts.

I was digging around and found this . https://sponsorship.sportbusiness.com/2024/03/sky-ireland-uses-irish-football-as-platform-for-product-launch/

And in September the UEFA Nations League starts Sept 6th, with Ireland playing England on Saturday 7th.

So I would hazard a guess and say that perhaps Sky's mobile launch may tie in with this event!?

Advertisement