Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got there early and only queued for about 10 minutes. Would have been tricky with multiple selling points as what do you do if one sells out and you've a queue of 100. Tell them to go queue behind 300 at another line?

Francelys injury put a huge dampener on the night for me. No way he'll be back this season, looked a very bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yeah, a damn tough one for him alright. Did he just get caught on a divot or something? I don’t think there was a challenge when it happened. Looked in fair pain coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

There was no contact which made me fairly sure it's a bad injury. Wouldn't want to speculate but you'd fear it was a ligament tear or worse by the way he was holding he leg. You'd hate to see him miss a semi-final.

Didn't think the semi final ticket distribution was too bad myself. Was queued for around 20 minutes but still had time for a pre-match pint before KO.

You'd have to think it was ligament or Achilles damage. Soft tissue at best. Hopefully it's not a long term one but there's no chance he's playing again this season imo. Leaves just Ed and Dervin as the wide players for the cup game, same team as we had against Dundalk I'd say.

• Advertisement

Got a knock down in Kerry and was taken off. Tbh he's been poor really so I don't think he'd have any chance of starting but he'd be an option off the bench at least I suppose.

He was given very little gametime under Caulfield bar a couple of starts here and there. He's one of those lads Caulfield signed but never gave a proper run, similar to Manley. Hard to critique management this season however. Be surprised to see either at the club in 2024.

He's definitely been used sporadically but when he has played it's hard to say that he's ever really done much. Would actually be good to see him on the left and take a full back to the bye line rather than the one trick pony cut onto his right.

I'd agree it's hard to see either being here next year. It's 2 areas we'd need to improve for next season. That and a left back as competition for Donelon who can't be trusted to stay fit.

• irelands version of sportswashing.

Comers throwing a few pound at a local sports club to mask all the damage caused by their corrupt business interests and shameless law evasion.

Let’s all get on board the money train and ignore the bigger picture or should the Galway united board and fans have a higher standard of who they partner with?

Similar to how jp doesn’t pay taxes and uses his tax savings to prop up Limerick hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭spurshero

Anything positive to add ? You go to many galway united games ? Go to a lot and was great to be there monday night with championees ringing around the ground and to see a big amount of fans anxious to get there tickets for an fai cup semi final in galway next week … a rare enough event . Great to see families up there enjoying time together rather then the usual kids stuck on phones etc . But hey Don’t let all that get in the way of your agenda whatever that is .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Wouldn't sportwashing mean that people respect and like the Comer brothers? I can tell you most of the people I've talked to that follow Galway United haven't forgotten the greediness of the Comers. It's not a similar situation to Newcastle or PSG.

The JP comparison is fair though. I support the Galway GAA teams despite Pat McDonagh being a scrote too but I certainly would prefer a different lad to be benefiting from sponsoring us. I'd have the same feeling about the Comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Wrong thread man.

If you want to question financial backers of soccer clubs just look at all those across the water.

Or start another thread ... but at least leave the United fans have their rare moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Missed tonights game but another big win. Are teams even trying against them anymore I wonder?

When will they be presented with the trophy? Last home game?

Last home game is standard for trophy presentations. Comfortable as could be tonight, Athlone missing numerous starters and we tore into them and never really let up. Good to get minutes into Horgan and Manning too. At least they'll be additional options for next week.

Huge day today. We've a great chance if we play our game, make them uncomfortable. An early goal for us would be huge.

Place is filling up nicely! An early goal would be great again today.

The full house fear kicked in again today at EDP, and I’m a bit gutted about today’s loss. Even though I wasn’t expecting to beat Dundalk in the quarter final, and the league is won so it was a kinda free hit, that we just didn’t take today against a very average Bohs side.

After the season we’ve had, it felt that the communication along the back line was dreadful on a good few occasions today. The goal should never have been allowed to happen, we’d had a warning a couple of minutes before and Nugent was completely robbed by Afolabei for it. We also nearly conceded a comical OG in the second half.

During the transfer window, I couldn’t understand why Waterford, our title rival at the time, allowed us to sign Wass, their striker! …….. it was confirmed to me again today why they let him go; he is a lazy footballer, and I really hope we don’t see him again after the season ends.

Is the standard between First and Premier really the high? I didn’t think so after our season and the Dundalk game, but then if you look at how Cork faired out this season after being pretty dominant last season, and how we were sidestepped by Bohs today, I’m kinda concerned now.

Look, can’t fault the season, and the effort of the squad. It’s been the most enjoyable one for years ( even decades 😱😱), but there is a lot of improvement/ updating needed in the squad to have any chance of surviving next season int the Prem.

Roll on the end of season trophy lift game, and hope the squad get to party like it’s 1999, but we left it behind today, never pressured against their 10 men.

Let the rebuild begin!!

Strange take on Wass, he's been a decent signing and has given us size and presence that we haven't had up top. It didn't work at the top end yesterday, for me, that was more on Walshy, Wass was winning headers, holding it up but second balls were a disaster. Walshy was just a non event really, pushing Hurley to the 10, Manning out wide and Dervin back in the middle would have made sense but JC was in full cautious mode yesterday so nothing like that was ever happening.

Anyway, a great occasion, went off well and the atmosphere was the best I've ever heard up there. Hope for next season and we'll enjoy the last cupla weeks in the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Saw bits of it on TV. The first time I have seen them in many a year. We'll have to do much more than make teams feel uncomfortable if we are to hold our own next year. I saw a a lot of commitment but you would expect that as a minimum really.

I am wondering who he is going to let go and and who he is going to bring in if we are to compete at all next year.

You'll find out over the off season.

• Advertisement

And so our most successful season in years ends!

nice crowd for the last game. Fair play to the lads getting the final win of the season and keeping an incredible home record all season.

I thought they did a good job of the trophy presentation, and it was great to see so many ex- United players from as long as I remember going up the Dyke!

I just hope we can hold our own in the Prem next season. I didn’t travel to any away games at all this term, but have lots of friends in Dublin so I expect to be visiting them a good bit next year 😂😂

A genuinely historic season, not like the previous historic one!! The high of this season certainly makes up for the low coming home from Limerick in November last season.

Let's hope there's no real sentiment and we go with the strongest squad possible for next season.

Any news or speculation of some new signings?

No news. You'll be looking at December at least before the drip feed of announcements will start.

Lots of speculation, Ryan Flood from Harps, but that would require a fee as he's under contract. Gaffney, as he's building in Tuam, is out of contract at season's end and has said he would like to play for us at some point. Lots of other stuff I've seen but it's people suggesting names that would be either achievable, potential signings rather than anything concrete.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Gaffney come in, would be a good addition to the squad. He’s done well at Rovers.

It’s hard to keep track of the FAI transfer rumours/ merry go round, but Gaffney is set to sign a contract extension with Rovers 😢😢

Hoban seems to be getting cut loose at Dundalk, and we could do with a proven striker…… what would ye think of him? Although I reckon it’s probably a bit difficult to convince players who are already full time on the east of the Shannon to move to Galway.

He'd be an obvious upgrade in so far as he is proven Premier Division quality. Ourselves and Derry seem the heaviest links so far, Pat's or Shels could yet too though.

Lots of movement with transfers so far. Nothing from GU yet though!!

Lots of transfers? Can't say I've noticed lots. Some clubs have announced players they've released. Mostly rumours outside of that.

• Advertisement

Advertisement