Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iPod Classic 120 GB

• 25-03-2023 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I just recently start using an iPod Classic left by my brother. It was a present from his wife and he loved it but, he hated the iPhone lol said Samsung was better. He died of brain and lung cancer. He was told he had 4 years but, was gone in three weeks. Thing is me brothers wife hasn't a clue about it and to me I thought I'd be grand using it but, it seems a bit weird for some reason I cant navigate through the menus. Like something is wrong with it or is it me ? lol Everytime I press a button no matter what it keeps going to something called Genius. If I just press play it plays music from the library but, I cant pick what I want like, go through songs and albums list. I can just skip forward through all the songs. There's 2000+ songs on the iPod. Its great to see all of my brothers collection He had good taste in music used to play the drums himself. Does it sound like anything wrong with it ? Is any part of it touch sensitive maybe I'm touching it wrong. I have been just swiping up and down and it doesn't move down through the menus. I've never even used an iPhone never mind an iPod lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Sorry about your brother. I'll try my best to help you. These are super easy devices to use. So much so, I'm a little surprised you're having trouble but they are i suppose a bit different than a phone..for examplen, unless it's the touch (which looks like a phone) the screen is not a touchscreen. You use the clickwheel to go through the menus. The clickwheel circle is touch sensitive like a screen, just run your finger around it clockwise/counter to go through menus, the middle of the circle is a button that you use like 'select' and also powers it on. Play/pause is at the bottom (6 o'clock).

I have a 'vintage' one that is a 4th gen so doesn't have genius or wifi capabilities which i think the later models have. Put to play the music just go into songs and hit play, you can go into settings if you want to set it to shuffle.

If you want to put songs on it you can put itunes on your computer (and if you have a CD drive you can use that to rip CDs to it instead of having to buy them. I use an old version on a PC and sync it. Itunes does take a while to get used to but you can look up lots of tutorials. You can probably get 'itunes for dummies' books for really cheap as these devices are considered sort of outdated. But they're not, they're brilliant for people who want their music experience separate from their phone and want to own music instead of stream.

iPods actually have had a resurgence lately due to people wanting that, and because they are some of the best devices apple ever designed, and because theyve been recently discontinued. The original 1st gen ipod in mint condition with box goes for 4 figures on ebay. There's a big community on reddit at r/ipods of collectors, you can search there if you have more questions.

Enjoy, it's a great piece of kit. 120 gb will hold a ton of songs, you can put audiobooks on it too if you like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭apkmbarry

Daydream has it in one. Moving your finger clockwise around the ring will move down the menu, counter clockwise moves up.

The middle button selects and I think it's clicking the top of the wheels goes back through the menus. I can't remember exactly, but it's the wheel that does all the scrolling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭STEE

Thanks for the help I figured it out after I made the post, I turned the iPod back on again and tried again. First time I was just swiping up and down and it wasn't scrolling through the menus Now I have the hang of it. Anyway thanks again !

Advertisement