Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Privately insure a commercial jeep

• 25-03-2023 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

Looking to buy and insure a commercial jeep but on a private policy with the high private tax

jeep has brand new doe I’m just wondering will that be ok or will it need to be nctd ?

does the jeep stay getting doe even if it’s private

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no expert but a few things to research:

Insuring commercial vehicles with a private policy is a very grey area and many insurance companies will simply not want to especially when you give them the reg and it shows up on their system as a commercial vehicle. They may refuse a private policy or insist that the vehicle is reclassed om the tax system as a passenger vehicle first. There are also other hoops they may want you to jump through.

What tax classification does it have right now? If it is currently classed as a commercial vehicle then that would need to be changed to private passenger vehicle with the motor tax office and consequently changed over from DOE to NCT. They have a process for doing that but again it might be cumbersome.

Third thing is that if you change the tax classification from commercial to private passenger vehicle then VRT will need to be paid on it. That may also mean that rear seat belt harnesses might need to be reinstalled which isn't an easy job.

Probably less agro just buying a passenger version to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I purchased a ssangyong actyon pickup,nearly 14 years ago, private insurance and taxed it privately, at the time the tax was 550 or so compared to the commercial tax of around 300, was not worth it the bother or effort to try taxing it commercially, any way 3 budgets later, tax was 710 euro.

I had to get it a doe on it every year. I never tried to nct it, I should have, the worst that can happen is a no.

Advertisement