Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very low max HR for my age?

Options
  • 25-03-2023 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

(TLDR: is 162bpm very low for max Hr of 44 year old?)

Quick background:

44yo male:

fitness level: 3:10 FM, sub 40 10k. RHR is 43 avg.

all runs use a Hr strap.

anyway - my watch (garmin 255) is telling me recently I’ve an anaerobic shortage (I definitely don’t, it’s actually increased a lot), so out of curiosity I looked at the watch max Hr and zones etc.

Max HR was set by default to 176 (220-age presumably) - I've looked back through all my recent PB races and vo2max/interval sessions (where I remember being out on my feet tired at the end), and even races back over the years, and the max HR i can find is 161 (all with Hr strap), which presumably puts my max Hr at 161/162?

likewise, my raheny 5m race was a 31:xx PB effort, perfect for the 30min lactate threshold test, and suggests a LT HR of 154 - which would be 95% of max?

So I’ve set LT to 154 and max to 162 - anyone else in the same boat with very low Max Hr?

as RHR is low also, it suggests the Hr range is fine.

edit: as part of this ‘research’ I did the garmin guided lactate threshold test, and failed it because I couldn’t get my Hr even close to the suggested range for the final 3min interval - which tells me my max Hr thesis above is correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Seems a bit low alright but everyone is different. I think 85% HrR reserve is a rule of thumb for LT, which would put you around 174 max. But the only way to know for sure is to specifically test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Not sure what the 30 min lactate test is, but would have though 30 min race pace is above threshold. Based on what you've said Max HR for running looks to be <165.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

It’s a preloaded workout on garmin watches to gauge your LTHR by running 3x4min and 2x3min at ever building Hr ranges. The watch displays a petrol gauge graph to stay in the ‘green’. I got to 157 avg for the 4th of the 5 sets (with a 161max) but couldn’t touch the 166avg required for the final 3min, which means my max Hr (176) was set far too high.

I agree with you, my max Hr certainly appears to be around 162 based on the reliable data

Advertisement