Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doughiska what is the area like to live in?

Options
  • 25-03-2023 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I am looking for some help please, I'm from Dublin but currently living in Newcastle, Galway. I'm looking at buying an apartment in Doughiska - I am looking online and there are mixed reviews about what it is like to live in. Reviews are saying it has improved? The apartment is on Doughiska Road - An Crumpan! Any help or advise is much appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There were parts of Doughiska ( not An Crumpan) that were getting a bad reputation for being rough. I honestly hadn't heard that it was improving. It's a pity. I remember the area from a decade ago and it had a lot going for it. Best idea would be to drive and walk it on different days and different times. Bring a friend with an objective/critical eye. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We use the playground down by the pitches with our two from time to time. Area seems generally grand to us, and I think it's one of the "rougher" areas we park in.

Neighbourhood Cafe is a good spot, the Lidl is one of their better ones, Iceland, Tesco Express and the Polish shop are handy too. Jack Jordans up the road for a decent chipper. Good bus route.

If I were you I'd go for a viewing or just a nose in the area and talk to some of the neighbours and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I lived in the area (Coil Tire / An Fiodan) for a while several years ago and it was grand. I think the estate you’re referring to is very close to there. I think that side of Doughiska is generally good, the estates are tidy and well maintained. However it definitely is a fair bit rougher the closer you go in Dunnes direction. The estate behind the Centra (now Tesco?) is very rough, parts of it are left unfinished and in very poor condition since way back in the property crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe that area behind Centra is has mostly now been finished. It ain't Taylor's Hill for sure, but it's far from the roughest area in Galway. And Galway-rough is nothing compared to certain other cities.

OP, the estate you're looking at, you might find that a good few of the neighbours are in some form of supported housing. I'd be surprised if the support agency aren't also bidding on the apartment you're looking at. It's not bad, I'd like there without hesitation, but a little different from other estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Up around An Crumpan is fine. No issues at all. There isn't much trouble out there. You have a Bus Stop outside your door too. There ca be a lot of traffic on that road. Safe for cycling though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Lived in An Fiodán for a few years. It was grand. Looks a bit more untidy as you go up toward Dunnes.

The bus service was great and I really like being that close to the woods and meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SammyL

Thanks so much everyone for your comments & help. I went to visit the property again today ( Sunday around 5pm ) and it seemed quiet enough. I've heard that the end closer to Oranmore is better which is what you are all saying 👍I'm on that end, or the apartment I'm looking at is on that end.

I think you can hlget bad neighbours etc anywhere but it's good to get feedback that the area is good! Great amenities around and very handy with the bus stop outside!

Single applicant so wish me luck bidding against some companies /Vulture funds 😂

Advertisement