Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol hybrid or plug in hybrid can you advise please before I buy

• 25-03-2023 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for advice please which one would you buy or are they a good buy in general?

going to test drive next week at the dealers

kia Niro 2018 petrol hybrid €23k, 78km high spec 3

kia Niro 2018 plug in petrol hybrid €25k, 68km , high spec 3

Currently wfh but will be going back to the office 3 days a week, 100km round trip daily, charging points at work

Both automatic, black in colour,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tbh, petrol hybrid (charging the battery by burning petrol) is a bit of a con really. You'll hear then called self-charging too, which is a bit of marketing speak, they don't self charge.

I'd definitely go for a plug in hybrid if you can. Don't think there are any phev that will take you to work solely on electric power. But you should be able to get halfway on battery alone.

Have you considered full eV? Easily achievable for your commute. And if you don't do much miles, you might not even need to charge at home, let your employer pay for your fuel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd recommend getting the PHEV, you should be able to manage 25-30km on a charge. If you charge at work and home that'll be about 50% of your commute fully electric

Just be aware that if you don't charge a PHEV every night before using it then it's effectively just a regular petrol car

Be sure you know what you're getting into before committing

If you're interested in going fully electric, then there's several BEVs that will manage that trip with plenty to spare. A 2nd hand Leaf 40kWh for example should have about twice the range you need on the coldest days of winter

Since you're in 3 days, you could charge in work for free (presumably, worth checking) and that would probably cover most of your other driving

I would strongly recommend getting a home charger anyway if you go PHEV or BEV, no use in getting one if you're driving a regular hybrid

If charging at home you'll want to look around at electricity tariffs and whether you can get a night meter to avail of cheaper electricity during the night

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

If it’s a shootout between the 2 the PHEV (approx 40Kms range) providing you can charge at home on night /EV rate and free charging at work will allow you to probably do about 70% of your round trip on electrons and save you a lot on fuel costs, but you’ll be running on petrol for any other journeys those days until you can charge again. That kind of mileage is well doable in nearly any EV but it all depends on budget and car type preference. An e-Niro would probably cost you 30K but it all depends on your budget and 5K will buy a lot of dinosaur juice. You’ll get a lot of pro EV opinions here, but that is mostly down to the positive experiences of switching to EV and the benefits as they are so easy to drive. While an EV might have a larger initial outlay, it should hold its value better as you would expect the want for EVs to grow over the next few years and that to be reflected in residuals. Include any fuel and servicing costs in your calculations you might be surprised by the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Thank you guys for response, yes free charging at work. I just drove my sisters car as I’ve never driven even automatic!

budget around 25k if possible

I’ll drive it Monday and let you know !

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yermanthere

Tbh PHEV is not cost-effective unless you have free charging somewhere. And can use that subsidised charging very regularly. I did some quick calculations and at current night rates and petrol rates PHEV saves e400 per 10k kilometres. And that's being very generous. Probably more like e350/10k.

PHEV is 2k more as above. For a new PHEV it's what, 3k more in price? That's a lot of mileage before you claw back those savings. And your paying interest on the higher loan for PHEV.

Now on the flip side , electricity prices MAY go down. petrol prices WILL continue climbing. But who knows by how much. And PHEV is heavy and complicated. Hybrid is proven, low tech system with good longevity. Just my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭pauly58

We bought a Honda Jazz Hybrid last year, very pleased with her, I have got 80mpg but generally in the sixties. Very comfortable with good seats & it's a Honda, made in Japan.

There's a lot to consider as to what you buy, depreciation being one & re-sale value. My eldest son has a Tesla 3 & is very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If you have a driveway AND you can charge for free at work, a BEV is the way to go. Leaf 40 will be in your budget.

It’s not just about fuel, it’s riding comfort and runnings costs. A BEV requires almost no maintenance compared to a car with an ICE. I estimate I spent around €800 per year if I spread the cost of the expensive jobs.

For context, I would service my ICE vehicles at least twice per year and dreaded the larger costs on jobs I couldn’t or wouldn’t do for safety reasons. My 2014 Leaf had a break fluid flush yesterday. It’s gone through 2 sets of tires and windshield wipers (I think) and had a warranty covered repair for wheel alignment. I’ve owned the car 6 years and spent about €1000 on maintenance and consumables. There’s around 100k on the clock.

You should test drive a full BEV Niro for comparison.

Stay Free

Guys, I’m buying car tomorrow however I’m getting the run around from the dealer about the charging cables. My understanding was that I should get 2 cables

granny 3 pin plug for home, slow charger I know

charger for public charging also to use for when I get the home charging station installed?

am I correct in my thoughts here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well they do charge,once u drive normal,ease off gas going downhill

I've had 3 petrol hybrid cars , including presently

I drive easy and get a good 64/5 MPG

Happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Depends on the car, earlier Leafs got a granny lead, some got a type 1 cable, later ones got type 2 cable

My ID.4 came with both a granny lead and Type 2 cable

If you can dig up the spec of the car you might be able to figure out what it had when new

Also check what the ad says (probably nothing)

They do have a tendency to go walkies I think in the dealership. My Leaf had none and when I asked the salesman grabbed a Type 2 lead from another car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

by right yes 2, the previous owner might have kept them, there is no advantage to owning the car if you cannot charge at home or work.

He has found one cable ( not the granny cable )

the previous owner did give the 2 cables when he sold to the garage so it’s gone missing at the dealership

Advertisement