Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid Crewcab for Private Use

• 25-03-2023 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

I'm looking to purchase a hybrid crewcab (X5 2.0L plug-in) which was previously registered as a passenger vehicle but the current owner (or maybe the dealer they bought it second-hand off) changed it over to a commercial vehicle.

Not sure why they changed it to a crewcab as the private tax is just €150 compared to the €333 commercial and it would only have needed the NCT every 2 years rather than getting a DOE every year. I assume they must have put it down as some business expense.

I was hoping to insure it privately (as I'm not self-employed) but my insurance will only quote me for commercial insurance as its coming up under the CVRT system (although I'll be covered for social, domestic and pleasure use still). They said I can transfer my NCB over from my current insurance though.

Does anyone know what the process is to change back from CVRT to NCT? I don't think there should be any VRT payable as it was previously NCT'd.

If its not possible to do this; when I go to tax it for private use (after purchasing the commercial insurance) does anyone know if the CO2 based tax system will apply i.e. the €150?

I've seen some mention that it would need to be taxed back on the old cc system; Would that just be for the likes of the 3.0L Diesel VW Toaureg or would it also apply to a hybrid like these?

Lastly if no one knows for certain the answers to the above who would be best to contact to clarify; I assume the main motor tax office in Shannon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

For me it’s have to be a real bargain, even after putting it on the right tax system, to be worth all that hassle. What price are comparable non commercials going for?

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Will the price not be plus VAT if its being sold as a crewcab? Most of those crewcab jeeps are subject to VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

It's being sold by a private seller so I'm assuming there's no VAT implication.

I've been watching it for a few months and its dropped down a bit and is now approx 10k cheaper than a comparable non commercial which is a year older but that has 40k miles less and is being sold from dealer with 3 months warranty.

I don't do massive milage so if I could get another few k off the price I think it could be worth the bit of hassle at the start to change over the insurance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

It actually makes no difference weather its a private seller or a dealer. You should clarify with the owner. But if theres no VAT mentioned on the add then it should be okay

Regarding your original questions, I’m not so sure. There seems to be 3 other similar threads that popped up recently about the same issue.

Advertisement