Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Advice

• 25-03-2023 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking to update my CV to apply for a new role.

A while back my responsibilities and tasks changed a bit but my Job title remained the same. How could I detail this in a CV? It’s an internal role if that makes a difference

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why would it make any difference? You are detailing what you did and what you are doing? You can simply add a new paragraph: "More recently I have taken over responsibility for....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As part of work experience section?

s the 2 page limit important?

There is no law about how long or how short a resume should be, other than urban myths generated by consultants and the like. If you have only three years experience the CV will be short, if you have 25 years it will be long and if it's not long you're going to leave the potential employer wondering what you left out...

There are a couple of things to keep in mind - first of all the chances of a recruiting manager or lead seeing your CV from the outside are pretty low unless the company is very small. So the easier it is for the automated system of HR junior given task of filtering them to identify you as a potential candidate the better chance you have. Once you do get past the filter it is important that your CV stands out - that means it is well written and a professional summary of your career, sticking to the facts without over padding, like any good book you need to capture the readers attention on the first page and make it interesting for them to read on. When you are on number thirty, you are not nearly as willing to spend time try and figure out what the candidate is like. You'll already have five or six possibles, you are tired and what to head home, or the deadline is in sight and you need to get it done or there is something more pressing you need to do.

After three decades, I have no idea how many resume I have gone over, these were resumes written by people who had a college education and ranged for new graduates to 20 year professionals and it never ceased to amaze me what a crap job people make of it. Given that their CV is probably the most important document they will write it is amazing how little effort they put in. Everything from basic spelling and grammar mistakes to poor construction, rambling paragraphs that could have been replaced by a single sentence etc... And don't get an agency to write your resume, when you have read a dozen or some it's pretty easy to pick out the ones written by a third party, they are just not that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have some past jobs on my CV that are not really relevant to what I do nowadays, had a bit of a career change a few years ago. Should I take these off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Put older non relevant jobs in as a one line. Shows career change and wider life experience.

Edit: no need for detail e.g.

2007 to 2013 porter/chief bottle washer, multiple hotels and restaurants.

• Advertisement

Well if you leave it off it will look like you are hiding something… so no. Instead put it in as a one or two line entry. Depending on your objective, you might want to consider a functional over a chronological resume.

Advertisement