Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A dig would be so hard too resist in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Nugget89

It's not nice to see, and something does need to be done to address it, but anyone suggesting segregating crowds is mad. We've seen with soccer that it actually makes things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Yeah, segregation is not the solution. And as Breezy mentioned, this is not a new thing, there's been drink involved and shenanigans on the Hill as far back as I can remember, I'm going to Croker 30 years. Not been on the Hill in over 10 years now though, so haven't seen it first hand, but you know it's happening. Perhaps it's a more regular occurrence now, but so is filming everything on phones, so definitely going to be more exposure of it. I'm not for a one second condoning it, but this is not new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As sad as it is to see it really doesn't require drastic action.

The professional soccer match day experience is an awful one and any move towards that would be a huge overreaction to a few scobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I thought he was entitled to blow the whistle when he did. There is a 5 second rule, I'm not sure how much of that was gone, but he allowed time for a long ball in and the Kilkenny lad to catch it, effectively two possessions or plays. Generally the advantage rule when used just gives you a free shot at goal or at most a handpass and a shot at goal.

Minor detail anyway. No matter what the referee did on the day, Clare are just not mentally equipped on the line or on the pitch to win these huge knockout games. They somewhat fixed the crazy wides from last year, next year they need to fix the crazy defending and management decisions.

• Advertisement

Given the way advantage has been reffed I would say they should have gotten advantage.

But I don't agree with how it is being reffed as it gives too much advantage. For instance if you are fouled but then run on and get off a clean shot then it shouldn't be called back if you miss. Similar if the foul doesn't prevent the pass you don't get it back if you fuk up the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'm happy enough with allowing a quick potshot. The smart managers are now telling their players that if they have advantage, take the quick shot as you have 2 chances to score. It allows play to continue and we get to see good scores from play.

Realistically if the shot attempt is not called back, I am telling any player that as soon as they see advantage arm go up, drop the ball. A free is always going to be the better option than a shot on the run or under pressure.

I actually dislike the rugby penalty advantage. Goes on far too long. Should be one, maybe 2 max phases of play and then called back if no advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah that happened in Saturdays match, galway player (I think) was fouled, but got into clear space. Attempted a shot from own 65, went wide...free given. Just cos he wasted the advantage doesn't mean it should be called back.

On the Clare one, can see why ref called it back. Sliotar landing into kilkenny players hand unchallenged so was likely to get called back. It just so happened that it was dropped, and made the ref look far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

On the other hand, SO'D took way too many steps for the goal that was allowed.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Iecrawfc

You won't hear anyone from Clare highlighting that though, awful persecution complex going back to Loughnane, in the long run there's no point in it but they are very emotional hurlers it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

The Clare fans feel aggrieved and I can partially understand their annoyance, it’s never a good place to be when your team could well have won and didn’t do it on the day.

But, I would remind them of Cody’s mantra to his players ( and I know he had plenty complaining to refs) , and it went like…was that the only reason you lost, you missed no chances, you drove no wides or short balls to the keeper, you gave everything for 77+ mins? Well Clare cannot say they did.

And to be fair, the ref gave Clare numerous key decisions that were never mentioned;

for the 65 when the KK fullback was clearly repeatedly fouled and pushed over the end line.

when O Donnell clearly threw the ball to the Clare forward ( name escapes me) resulting in the KK keep saving, tapping over for a point??

for the Clare goal when Aside from O Donnell steps, he clearly fouls the KK back by pushing him to the ground so he can swing the hurl without getting hooked.

thats 1-2 of clear advantage to Clare, but no mention of it.

And to be fair to the ref, for that lack of advantage challenge that Clare have, he blew the whistle when he thought the KK man had the ball, and the KK player and keeper partially stopped when they heard the whistle. So cribbing that you were not allowed a goal after the opposition had heard a whistle and stopped and you then get the ball, hit it and scored, sounds a little crazy to be honest. Chances are you would not have got the ball had the ref not had blown.

There were much bigger items why Clare didn’t win that game.

Like Clare came back from 6 points down to go 2 points up and still lost it. Like not blaming that one error by the Clare back to allow the KK goal, because the KK forwards had chased that sane opportunity numerous times in the game to no avail for it to only work the one time and they got a goal from it.

Clare got away with plenty in Munster from refs to put them into that position yesterday. No mention.

Clare lost that game on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think it all stems back to issue with cocaine in society, its just normalised and common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Its a pity Sean Finn is out for the year, would loved to have seen him and Eoin Cody battle it out in the final.

I suppose it comes with being on the road so long but I can't remember the last time Limerick had a fully fit starting 15

Maybe 22 against Cork but it seems like we were always missing Lynch or a Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think he’s the best corner back I’ve seen and while I wish him well with his recovery and hope he gets back to full fitness I’m glad he won’t be back in time for this final 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

I agree, probably the best i have seen too and thats saying something considering some of the corner backs we were blessed with in KK over the last 20 years.

True and maybe we’ve had a couple that would give him a run for his money …. Mick Kavnanagh, Paul Murphy, Jackie Tyrell etc..but Finn has it all , immaculate first touch (which is everything in the full back line) decent in the air, strong as a bull but always keeps his composure, and then he uses the ball so well, never makes a bad decision and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him being turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Finn isn't fit to lace Willie O'Connors boots though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The game of the recent past has nothing on today's game in terms of skill etc

The great Tony Browne made some horrific howlers while playing. Look back at some 90s games on YouTube. He's wasn't the only one

Ya but once he is back from injury he will be fit enough 😁

• Advertisement

How did I forget about Willie O Connor…. Did everything Finn can do except better and faster 👍

Recency bias at its best there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

Willie was a left corner back. If you'd Finn in the right corner and O Connor in the left you'd be doing fairly well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

You’re doing Willie an injustice. He could play anywhere. I remember him periodically soloing up the pitch at U21 level to get his score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

I wouldn't swap Sean Finn for anyone past or present remember he has come back from a cruciate already in 2017 I think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ye were at full strength against Waterford in the championship this year when ironically ye actually played poor enough. Hannon went off injured in that game and Finn did the ACL against Clare the following week.

Thats fair enough High bike….he has been unlucky with injuries for sure. Let’s hope that’s his last bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

One of the best man markers of his time , tough as nails and a nice lad .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

For sure Canning was a good one too

Advertisement